Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Tile/Grout problems

I recently re-did a bathroom with Ceramic tile, and my wife liked the results so much, she asked me to do the same in the kitchen. I followed exactly the same procedure, but the results are not nearly as good. In the kitchen, the Grout looks terrible. It looked ok for a while, but then it started cracking. In a couple of places, it actually crumbled. In other places, It didn't exactly crack, but it kind of "peeled away" from the tile, so there is a definite line at the point where the grout and the tile meet.

I have resigned myself to re-doing it, but before I do, I want to know what could have gone wrong? What sort of things cause grout to crack?

One other thing - the tile has beveled edges on top, so in order to make the kitchen floor smoother, the grout lays over the top a little bit, rather than just being down in the cracks. Is this a problem?

BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #2

Tile/Grout problems

The problem may be deflection. In other words, the subfloor is moving too much.
What are the joist spacing?
What is the subfloor and underlayment used?
Was it Sanded or Non Sanded grout?

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #3

Tile/Grout problems

I don't recall what the joist spacing is - I will go check it out tonight. On top of the joists is 12"planks + some type of subfloor which was laid down for the linoleum. I did not rip up the linoleum , so I'm not sure how thick. (I was advised that you could install tile on top of linoleum that was in good condition, thoroughly bonded, etc.. which it was) On top of the linoleum I put 1/4" durock before I laid the tile.
BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 PM   #4

Tile/Grout problems

Maybe 1/2 would have been a better choice for a substrate.
I only use 1/4 for walls.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #5

Tile/Grout problems

BestofBestTile:

I'm not a moderator, nor do I have any power or control over what happens here, so what I'm about to say is SOLELY my opinion, but I dare say, that if you do that in every thread about ceramic/stone flooring, that you won't last very long on this forum. It's good that you're proud of your company (or that company, whoever it belongs to) but to post in every thread, with the sole purpose of advertising, won't get you many friends here. Sometimes it's tolerated IF it is done while answering a question (you could try to be a little more subtle about it too :D ), but blatant advertising is against policy except MAYBE in the "off topic" forum or the "introductions forum".
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote