Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Share |

Tile Floor Issues

We recently picked up an older home it was built in 1890 and had a new foundation put under it in 97.. Our floor in the kitchen looks like S#!T its got several cracks and now even some of the grout is starting to flake out new Kitchen cabinets and counters were installed in 2004 I believe and well I had some dishwasher issues and pulled the bottom cover off and I can see the tile and than what looks like a cement board and than linoleum and than i would only guess its the hard wood floor. The Tile does not run all the way under the cabinets or the dishwasher WTF?? So is this normal?? how much am i looking at getting into to try and remove all the tile ?the room is 30 x 14 and I can see some dips and rises in the floor as the trim doesn't meet the floor in some spots and I hate the tile so I don't want to try and find a match for it and I'm assuming it was installed in correctly anyhow if were having these problems with it what would be a good alternative to this problem? what would be a better product to install?
Cowead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Tile Floor Issues

There is no need for the tile to have been run under the cabinets. Often times it's just plywood.
In fact it's better that way so the tile can be replaced without having to cut it along the kick plate.
There's nothing wrong with the tile or grout most likly it's what's under it that's causing it to fail.
Tile need a flat, none flexable surface, if not the grout and tiles crack.
Joist condition, width, length of unsupported spans, type and thickness of subflooring and underlayment all have to be taken into concideration when preping for tile.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
DIY staff

Tile Floor Issues

Large hammer ---flat bars----muscles---

Removing the tile and backer will just take time and muscle----what is under the tile?

If you want to tile again---let us know what the floor structure is---somebody here will check the deflection charts----need unsupported joist length---size of joist--type---ans spacing.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Tile Floor Issues

A home that old without even seeing it tells me under sized floor joist, to long a span, not enough piers, may be insect or moisture damaged damage, 1X's used as a subfloor, may even be partical board over the 1X's.
I've seen them tile right over old hardwood floors.
This is strickly what I have seen on dozens of older homes and may not apply to yours.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

Tile Floor Issues

If you can get underneath check the joists if ok add some bracing between the joists, as Joe said they are probably undersized. When the house was built they never thought of the weight of a tile floor or modern appliances. Also when you remove your old floor check the sub floor it may also be undersized. Then when you re-tile use a product like Ditra a membrane that goes under your tile. It is not a cure all but with these old houses always moving it will help to keep the cracks from returning
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Tile Floor Issues

The Floor Joists are 2x12 every 12 inches and they are solid oak dimensional lumber and they span 15ft at the farthest point and I believe its a 1x6 T&G sub floor at lest that's what it looks like from the basement So if I tear all of the flooring out and start over how can i get the low spots level? and what would I have to prepare the surface with?
Cowead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Tileguy

Tile Floor Issues

You need to removed everything until you get to the subfloor which is the 1x6 t&g you saw from the basement. Assuming the joists are in good condition you can then re-fasten and repair any bad boards and then install 5/8" or 3/4" underlayment grade plywood. At that time you will decide whether to install a concrete backer or go with a membrane like Ditra instead.

Do the first step and then let us know what you find and which way you plan to go.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-04-2012)