Tile Floor Help - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tile floor help

we are laying ceramic tiles and right in the middle one row of tiles are not going down straight. we are racking our brains trying to figure out what went wrong. can somebody help?

Advertisement

frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

tile floor help

Are you using spacers? Those always seem to help or maybe you need to add more or less thin set to one or the other tile. Or try a beating the tiles down using a beater block and hammer.

When you mean not going in straight is the tiles aren't level or the edges are matching up ?

Advertisement

nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

tile floor help

yes we are using spacers, and it is the edges that arent matching up.
frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

tile floor help

Your tiles may vary in size, I've seen tiles (mostly ceramic) vary by as much as 1/8" from tile to tile. have even seen them out of square.

If you are talking floor then ditch the spacers, grid it out and adjust it for looks as you go, but keep the grid going. If it is a wall, your spacers should be spikes or wedges that can be adjusted. Or use paper or cardboard if you have no wedges. Be sure the columns are plumb, don't assume the edge of the wall is plumb.

Rich
Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #5

tile floor help

The last tile I put down I found the actual tiles were kind of warped. My slab was level but the tiles were not level. They didnt fit together correctly, and rather than return them I tryed to compensate by using less or more flexbond mortar to level them out. They were expensive tiles so I guess I got ripped off. Maybe the box layed on its side in the warehouse or something, or the tiles were manufactured incorrectly. Anyway its the first time Ive seen it in the past 70 tile jobs...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

tile floor help

WHAT? You think the tiles might have gotten warped from laying on their sides?

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 586

tile floor help

If the tiles are warped, take them back. They can't warp by sitting on their sides. The tile that I used in both my bathroom and my dining/kitchen both varied in sizes like previously stated, about 1/8". I was using 1/4" spaces so when I encountered a tile that was shorter or longer, I just flipped the spacer and made it thinner. You can't tell after you grout and you can make up for a small difference later on.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #8

Smile

tile floor help

All im saying is the tiles weren't level. I dont know how they got that way. I guess in the manufacturing process somehow. Yah I thought the chance of some type of warpage was stupid, but the tiles non the less werent level....
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #9

Unhappy

tile floor help

sorry to get off on a tangent. this guys trouble does seem to be related to the width of the tile in general ... it only reminded me of my past tile problem. Eye ball the tile, or take them back. Measure them to see if there are any discrepencies before you do anything. Sorry, I just relived a past nightmare with my least favorite tile experience.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #10

tile floor help

The tiles I'm laying are pretty much the same way. I worked real carefully to keep them in line and after laying a few rows, I found myself fighting the spacers. I still used them to a certain extent, but I also had to do a little eye ballin.

Advertisement

Amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote