Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

Tile floor

Hey all, working on research for a future project and am looking at a tile floor in a newly framed master bathroom. I am trying to get as much of the how and why taken care of now before I get to where im looking for product.

Space is 7x7 and will have a 34x48 shower (3 piece tub, no tile here) a toilet, and a vanity.

Flooring consists of 1x10's over 2x8's 16 on center. Over this in the area to be the bathroom I added 1/2 inch plywood and screwed everything down.

Im currently researching tile subfloor requirements and have the easiest access to durock products. Specifically looking at the 1/4 inch next gen product. I understand you need to lay a bed of thinset, lay the product, then attach with screws every 8 inches.

My question comes in regards to what thinset would work well for the application, the instructions say to use a "Apply type 1 organic adhesive". What does this mean? Can I use the same product required here for actual tile installation or is another a better/needed option?

I havent specifically decided on a tile of any sort for the room, it will not be natural stone of any type. In all likleyhood it will be a ceramic of sorts. Is there anything one should look for in selecting tiles? Seems the biggest issue people have is with tiles not all being the same size. Does one brand have better tiles vs another?

Appreciate all the input this site has provided for me!

quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
DIY staff

Tile floor

Use what ever thinset you want---unmodified or modified--
The thinset is there to fill any voids so you have solid contact between the Durrock and the plywood.

Roofing nails or screws work just fine---I use roofing nails---faster for me----

tell us more about the framing---2x8 ? how long are they? (Unsupported length) from wall to center beam or other support.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Tile floor

2x8's have an 11 foot span, but there is a partition wall (not structural) that basically saddles the center of the bathroom in the basement below. It runs with the joists, and only comes in contact with 2 joists (framed in a closet).

So if I can use any thinset I choose, which would be most appropriate for laying tiles? Flexbond is available in my area and seems to be rated as a middle of the road product. Another option perhaps?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
DIY staff

Tile floor

I ran a deflection chart for you----you are okay for tile---not good for natural stone--

Flexibond will work for you---it is a middle of the road thinset---I usually use white---but the gray works well--I just find it easier to clean up the squeeze up with white----
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Tile floor

Mike, what makes a good thinset and a bad thinset? What properties change?

What would a good product be?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Tileguy

Tile floor

There's several ingredients in thin set mortar, but generally as the quality goes up it's because there's more Portland cement in it.

Price wise FlexBond is very decent. Versabond is also decent but cheaper, I consider it "entry-level" but should work fine in most cases, (esp. under CBU's. There are specialized mortars that cost over $130 a bag.

Durock is one of the brands that recommend modified thinset to install it to the floor. Some others say either modified or unmodified. Your reference to Type 1 is not thinset, it's mastic which we definitely to not like. If you go back to the installation sheet you will see you left out the rest of the sentence.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Tile floor

Thank you Jazman for the explanation, will probably use vesabond under the subfloor and flex bond for the tile work. I appreciate your help!