DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tile first

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  clasact 
#1 ·
I am going to tile my kitchen,I was going to put the new cabinets in first and then tile but just read on another post that I should tile then put the cabinet in.Soooooooooo which is it I know if I put the cabinets in first it means more cutting but which would be better.

#2 ·
hiya
personally, i'd do the cabinets first, then the floor. then when you want to put down new tiles, all you'll need to do is remove the 1/4 round and put down new tiles. (this is assuming you will be using vinyl tiles?) if you rest the new cabinets on the floor, you'll need to cut them or rip them out. this all depends on tile type too......
hope this helps!

DM

#5 ·
it was not options it was someone thread that said they should put tile first in the evet they wanted to move cabinets at a later date.I was told before to do the cabinets first for a cleanner look and so I could attach 2x to the slab to anchor the island cabient so I have been questioning myself on what to do next and thought why not get someones opinion

#9 ·
as a matter of fact their will be two island on each side of the kitchen a walk in 10x12 pantry a nich for convection ovens and another for the 10 burner stove so really no mater which way I go I got alot of cutting to do.The cost of the tile is not a concern.I drive truck and when I was in Texas a stone and tile place had a great sell so I got 250 boxes of what I wanted in the first place for about 45 cent a tile.The major concern here is for when I sell the new owner may not like what I have done and want to change things and if I do the tile after the cabinets their wont be any tile under them and they may not be able to match what I have in that may reduce what I get for the place.The other was the amouth of work.I already tiled the dinning room which was a major pain in my back and I was thinking if I could save on some cutting that would be nice soooo I am still undecided

#10 ·
The major concern here is for when I sell the new owner may not like what I have done and want to change things and if I do the tile after the cabinets their wont be any tile under them and they may not be able to match what I have in that may reduce what I get for the place.
These are kitchen base cabinets we're talking about? They're not really intended to be mobile. Relocating them would qualify as a kitchen remodel and I can't imagine anyone would be upset to not find tile underneath the cabinets. Besides... why are you worried what the next owner will think?

#11 ·
seems to me you already answered you own question...---->The major concern here is for when I sell the new owner may not like what I have done and want to change things and if I do the tile after the cabinets their wont be any tile under them and they may not be able to match what I have in that may reduce what I get for the place.<----"Money talks....etc."

DM

#13 ·
maybe 2x with a dap glue? (try their "Beats the Nails" caulk/glue) it holds well enough to keep them from shifting with a bit of help from good old gravity, but if you pull the cabs, it can be removed easily and with no damage to the tiles, not so with the heavier duty construction adhesives. some of the glues i've used would pull the tiles right off with it! lol this stuff even says it's not meant to replace nails! just 50% of them! hehehe you'll need to lay your 2x with a good solid bead, then weight them 24 hours. give the install a few days before you try to push too hard on the cabinets. it takes a bit to set right.
hope this helps!

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.