Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |

Tile fireplace hearth

I have a fireplace that has a hearth made out of brick. Outside of the glass doors it has tile on top of the brick. the tile has all come lose and it looks like they were set on top of the brick when it was built because it looks like the cement morter for the bricks was just spead on top of the bricks and the tiles were set into it. They were just butted together with no grout. Now all the tiles are lose and the pattern from the back of the tiles is in the cement (irregular surface). What would be the best way to reattach the tiles or new tiles. I am afraid to try to chip the cement off down to the brick because the brick is solid and I don't want to crack any. Any advice?

Slamllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tile fireplace hearth

How much room do you have from the bottom of the doors to the top of the cement?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Tile fireplace hearth

There is enough room for the tile and maybe 1/8 inch to the bottom of the door frame. the frame has enough play to raise it or lower it a little to set it back down on the tile if I can re-tile it.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #4

Tile fireplace hearth

The concrete surface is pretty irregular from the tile backs. The concrete has 1/2 inch squares about 1/8 inch deep across it like a waffle! It is all nice and solid though. Just the tiles popped out of it I assume from drying out. It used to have just a screen in front of the fireplace when we moved in and we added the doors.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Tileguy

Tile fireplace hearth

Quote:
The concrete surface is pretty irregular from the tile backs. The concrete has 1/2 inch squares about 1/8 inch deep across it like a waffle! It is all nice and solid though. Just the tiles popped out of it I assume from drying out.
Doesn't sound serious at all. Sounds as if the surface is basically flat except for the impressions made by the previous tiles. Skim coat the surface with thinset to fill the low spots and continue with the installation. If the new tiles are the same thickness as the old tiles then the new tiles will be only a fraction higher when installed.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote