Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Location: Fort Campbell, Kentucky with the 101St Airborne Division
Share |

Tile at Entry, what next??

Hello All! I joined this forum to get some help from all of you experts out there. Hubby is coming home from Afghanistan soon and I have done tons of remodeling. Friday night 29 Jan we had a water leak and now ALL of our carpeting in the LR and DR is going to have to be replaced. There is ceramic tile in the entry and in the kitchen. How would it look to put a high quality laminate up against the tile? Is it best to stick with carpet throughout? Reason I am in such a dilemma, we have a 120 gallon saltwater tank that will have to be broken down and set back up, if we choose to go with carpet. If i go with laminate, I was going to request for them to lay laminate throughout and then just leave the tank where it is, there is no water damage near or around that area. Just leave the tank in place on the carpet and frame the laminate around it. Can anyone out there, share in my vision??? BTW we have 4 dogs inside the house as well, so laminate would be a lot easier than carpeting to care for.

Bottom line, we spend a lot of money on our home and our animals, so whichever is the best route, we will choose. Right now there is tile in entry, kitchen, laundry room and both bathrooms and carpet throughout and laminate in master and in sunken den on the other side of the house. I just want the living room to flow so...tile flowing into laminate, GO or NO GO???

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Kimberly

soldiergirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #2

I do tile up to laminate all the time. And visa versa. It looks good. They can go around the fish tank. I would go with a high quality laminate with the dogs. Your dogs will hate the laminate at first. It is extremly slick for them. They will fall sometimes, and try and run on it. Go for it. Good luck.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

Location: Fort Campbell, Kentucky with the 101St Airborne Division

Woodsman,

Thank you for you quick response to my dilemma. So, you feel it will flow well to keep the tile in the entry and laminate the rest? What should they use to frame around the saltwater tank? How far would you suggest we frame around the tank? I am thinking 2 ft to allow for water spillage during tank maintenance. Before with the carpet, we could just use towels, plastic, etc. No matter how careful you try to be and are, some water is going to get to the floor. So, I was thinking a 2ft perimeter is playing it pretty safe. But, do not want it to be too large, either!

Thanks for your words of wisdom

~Kimberly~
soldiergirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Two feet will be enough space. I hope that it will look O.K.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote