Tile Cracking Concerns Crossing A Threshold - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tile Cracking Concerns crossing a threshold

This will be difficult at best for me to explain, but here goes. I'm doing a total rehab on an older home, including a room addition. (1st pic) Part of the addition is a 1/2 bath, and the other part is a portion of a full bath. The addition (the overhanging part in the 1st pic) was built 3 1/2" lower than the existing 2nd story floor to accommodate floor heat and a sloping floor for a doorless shower. (pics 2 and 3).
The stepdown is located where the overhang addition meets the two story portion of the house.
The lower floor area will be filled with a concrete subfloor covering hydronic floor heat, bringing the level upto the existing floor.
I'm located in Kansas City, Mo. Overhang is 6 x 12 1/2, and sits on three 18" isolated footings 40" below grade.
My concern is this. I'd like to run tile (size still to be determined) continuously from the old section, across this line, and into the new. I'm worried about contraction and expansion. I can overlap the concrete board, but still worried about it cracking under the tile, and thus the tile cracking.
At worst, I figure I can put a soapstone or marble thresehold at the line in the full bath, but there's a pocket door just inside the line going into the 1/2 bath. So it wouldn't look correct.

Any and all ideas welcome!
Regards,
Jules

Advertisement

JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,248

Hi Jules,

A 4.5" marble threshold is the common way to finish the doorway, but it you're tiling with the same tiles on both side you can skip the thresh. You should figure on having a grout joint at that point, but treat it like an expansion joint filed with caulk to match the grout.

Be sure to install the concrete backer into thin set prior to placing the mud in the lower area to get the height.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Jaz,
I figure that's where I'll end up, with a color matching caulk line. Unfortunately, the wife is leaning toward hexagon tiles, which of course makes it impossible to have a straight line at that seam. I was wondering if there is a product out there I'm unaware of.......just shooting in the dark here, like a membrane strong enough to lay across the seam to absorb/disperse any movement. Am I dreaming here?

Are you saying to install concrete board in the lower area before I do the pour? I was just going to install some sort of moisture barrier, pour, leave it roughed, then thinset the backerboard on top of that? Am I going down the right road here?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
I figure that's where I'll end up, with a color matching caulk line. Unfortunately, the wife is leaning toward hexagon tiles, which of course makes it impossible to have a straight line at that seam. I was wondering if there is a product out there I'm unaware of.......just shooting in the dark here, like a membrane strong enough to lay across the seam to absorb/disperse any movement. Am I dreaming here?
Two ways, you can do as you say and place caulk in a zig-zag fashion as close to the problem area as possible. OR, check out Noble CIS. http://www.noblecompany.com/Portals/...ion%200409.pdf

Quote:
Are you saying to install concrete board in the lower area before I do the pour?
No. I'm saying to install the CBU where you're gonna install the CBU (high side), before you place the deck mud on the other floor....the low one. You do NOT install CBU's on deck mud cuz it's kinda hard to screw/nail into the concrete. Plus the only reason to install any CBU is to have a tile-friendly surface for tiles, which you'd already have with the deck mud.

Quote:
I was just going to install some sort of moisture barrier, pour, leave it roughed
Tarpaper or poly, steel lath, mud, thin set tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

Jaz
.....No. I'm saying to install the CBU where you're gonna install the CBU (high side), before you place the deck mud on the other floor....

I'm with you now. Makes complete sense.

and thanks very much for the link! Looks ideal, but guessing pricey.

Regards,
Jules
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Tileguy

Don't ruin the idea by asking the price.........soooooooo tacky!

Jaz

Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Don't ruin the idea by asking the price.........soooooooo tacky!

Jaz
Agreed....... terribly offensive on my part. We'll just leave it at the design phase

Advertisement