Tile To Concrete - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tile to concrete

i have a contractor comming in a few days to lay some tile in a small 6X10 half bath/laundry room of my home. i have heard that you should not lay ceramic/porceline tile directly to concrete. when i asked him about if he had to lay something down between the tile and concrete he said no just lay the tile directly onto the concrete. is this right? or is my tile going to crack all to pieces in a few months?

Advertisement

mekenikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

tile to concrete

He probably quoted the job that way to keep the price low and have a better chance of hearing yes. It might even work well that way, but there are better ways to install tiles on concrete.

Ask him to suggest an alternative, then tell us what he thinks. Is he a real tile setter or a handyman, licensed, how long in biz, does he keep up with all methods and products?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

tile to concrete

In BC you can install tile on concrete per minimum code ... But that doesn't make it a good idea. Some form of crack prevention membrane is a better idea if you actually intend it to last. There are several products ... Check out Mapei and Schluter as just 2 suggested companies that make products for this purpose. Any tile installer in North America should have heard of both. There is all Red Guard sold at that big orange home improvement store.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 248

tile to concrete

all the new homes where i live, arizona, have had tile directly to concrete for the last 20+ years. the only thing they would do different is if there was a crack in the slab they would put #30 or 315 felt over the area.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

tile to concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351
all the new homes where i live, arizona, have had tile directly to concrete for the last 20+ years. the only thing they would do different is if there was a crack in the slab they would put #30 or 315 felt over the area.
A crack in a slab may not appear for months or even years after construction as the home settles. Would it be fair to assume that in Arizona the amount of water seeping up through a concrete slab is very minimal? Also I would guess that the slab does not get really cold in winter increasing the chance of freeze/thaw conditions causing the tile mortar to break free. Location is one factor when determining best practices for many aspects of construction.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 248

tile to concrete

exactly. location is the factor.

Advertisement

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrod351 For This Useful Post:
Bonzai (06-20-2012)

Tags
concrete , tile , tile to concrete