DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   tile to carpet transition (

qchawkfan 04-20-2010 06:32 AM

tile to carpet transition
1 Attachment(s)
did a tile job in the entry way - cut back carpet and pad but can't get the carpet to stay in place even with tack strips

needing an idea for a transition piece that won't trip us when walking - also to keep the carpet down - and reinforce the tile edge

i searched the forum but couldn't find a solid thread about this

any suggestions?

rusty baker 04-20-2010 06:43 AM

Trac-metal with rubber insert.

qchawkfan 04-20-2010 07:41 PM

what is trac-metal - where is it sold?
google is not too helpful

rusty baker 04-20-2010 08:14 PM

It has pins in the carpet side to hold the carpet and a rubber insert to cover the edge. You can buy them at any carpet store or big box.

qchawkfan 04-21-2010 06:06 AM

does this product have a name?
I have searched the box shops online - i don't find a rubber transition
don't really want to run around town asking for a product i don't really know what it looks like - or what it's really called
pretty new at doing any flooring job - tile looks ok but i think this is the last of the diy flooring

rusty baker 04-21-2010 06:42 AM

rcuerrier 04-22-2010 01:22 PM

Various names for what your after, but Rusty's bang on! We call it "pinned bar and 'E' cap" because the bar has pins on it and the cap looks like a rounded 'E'.

The pinned bar has two features you need, the first is that it has a "track" or "channel" into which you'll insert the 'E'Cap (you'll need to hammer the cap into the track with a rubber mallet) and pins on the bar to hold the carpet. But you may also need "extender" to accommodate the tile height. This looks identical to the "track/channel" part of the pinned bar and is inserted into the track to make it "taller" you then insert the 'E' cap into it.

Hope that helps!

Russman 04-25-2010 09:35 AM

tile to carpet
You can install a metal edge reducer moulding over top of the tile-carpet. Another option is to put track and cap. It is a vinyl moulding that locks into a track. Usually you put track down prior to installing carpet, you need to cut back carpet and install track and lock vinyl cap moulding in track.
There is also a wood moulding reducer, but it is thicker and will stick up somewhat....good luck.

rusty baker 04-25-2010 11:25 AM

Uh, Russman, if you read the above posts, what you mention has already been covered.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1