Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Tile in bathroom, want something different any suggestions on a softer floor?

I dont want vinyl or linoleum, linoleum because i cant seem to get my hands on it here, and vinyl because of the pvc chemicals as i am a chemically sensitive person. I have tile but its cracking and also COLD and hard on the bones. We seem to have cold weather winter like 8 months out of the year and im NOT in Alaska lol (although the hot months make up for it, and i WISH I WAS in alaska But anyways, I thought about cork, but am not too crazy about the looks of it, and have read debates for and against it in the bathroom. We have a round shower and lots of round areas so we really are limited to what we can use i think. I'm not sure if there IS anything out there that is not PVC or has some type of chemical. I'm not sure about laminate in bathrooms? what do you all think is the best? (Im kinda messy with the water)

doodleb1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Newly Retired

We bought a house that had the cork in the bathroom. I am not sure how long it had been in before we bought but we lived there for 7 years and it was nice. There was lots of water on it when the grand children would come over which was quite often and never a problem. It always felt warm which my wife really liked. I know there are people who say don't use it in a bathroom but we never had a problem and I am looking at doing the floor in our ensuite with cork if my wife finds a color she likes.

tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

Try looking at LVT - luxury vinyl tile. There are 3-4 different manufacturers and i've installed various ones. They look attractive and are easy to cut with a utility knife for your round areas.
HarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodleb1973 View Post
I dont want vinyl or linoleum, linoleum because i cant seem to get my hands on it here, and vinyl because of the pvc chemicals as i am a chemically sensitive person. I have tile but its cracking and also COLD and hard on the bones. We seem to have cold weather winter like 8 months out of the year and im NOT in Alaska lol (although the hot months make up for it, and i WISH I WAS in alaska But anyways, I thought about cork, but am not too crazy about the looks of it, and have read debates for and against it in the bathroom. We have a round shower and lots of round areas so we really are limited to what we can use i think. I'm not sure if there IS anything out there that is not PVC or has some type of chemical. I'm not sure about laminate in bathrooms? what do you all think is the best? (Im kinda messy with the water)
To "tile in the Bathroom". Your ceramic tile, if it's cracking was probably installed incorrectly. It's hard too, not the product you're looking for by the question you asked. Try Allure. It's waterproof, resilient, pretty (tile look or a wood look, it's a vinyl, but pretty thick) It has a "grip strip, it's a floating floor, but you have to rip up the ceramic first unfortunately. Plus it's soft under your feet, easy to maintain. and has a texture so it's not slippery. Feedback has been GREAT! Plus, it's very easy to install. Try this, I think you will be really happy with it.
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote