Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Tile baseboards

When doing a tile floor is it pretty common to use tile for the baseboards? Or is wood common as well?

If doing tile do you go 4"? Beveled edge or regular? How does the tile stick to the wall? Is the tile cement enough to hold it? Do I put those in before I grout the rest of the floor? Or do the floor first then the baseboards?

TIA

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Tile baseboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman View Post
When doing a tile floor is it pretty common to use tile for the baseboards? Or is wood common as well?

If doing tile do you go 4"? Beveled edge or regular? How does the tile stick to the wall? Is the tile cement enough to hold it? Do I put those in before I grout the rest of the floor? Or do the floor first then the baseboards?

TIA
I have done lots of tile baseboards but usually for commercial use. Depending on the room size, yes, 3-1/2 to 4" is a good size. You can use the bullnose tile if you have it or just make sure you put the cut end of the tile towards the floor leaving the factory edge towards the wall. The thinset you're using for the floor will work just fine.

Not only do you want the baseboard in before you grout but you will want to paint the wall (at least to the baseboard height) to make painting easier...cutting in around grout is a pain in the

To finish the top of the b.b. you can either grout it or find a matching caulking (run a line of painters tape across the top for a nice neat job)

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Tile baseboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
To finish the top of the b.b. you can either grout it or find a matching caulking (run a line of painters tape across the top for a nice neat job)

For the top of the baseboard I ALWAYS choose caulking over grout....... Grout will most likely crack over time due to any shifting or movement of walls, floors etc etc.

As canadaclub mentioned..... painters tape across the top with whatever u decide to use (grout, caulking) will give it a very nice and straight clean apperance........ than agiain thats only if you tape it straight....lol
57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote