Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile Baseboard help needed

Hello,
I am new to this so please bear with me. I have just put porcelain tile on a basement bathroom over a cement floor. Looks great! I have decided to add a tile baseboard (on a painted wall ) but no bull nose is available. After considering several options ie, transition, woodtrim, grout trim, I have decided to try and use caulk on top of the tile to finish it off. My questions are this

1. I heard that you can use a PL adhesive (help! local hardware store) to glue the tiles up ...or you can use thinset which I used for the tiles....which is better?

2. Any suggestions as to the the height? The wall is painted.

3. I did not use grout between the tile and the wall as I read that caulk is better because of expansion....I have about 1/4 inch to fill....should this be all caulk?

4. Any tips on how to apply caulk to the top of the tile without making a mess out of the whole project?

I am a 66 yr. old woman with little experience in handywork but I enjoy doing new projects....this has been a big one!!!

Sure would appreciate any help out there........thanks!!!

DIYnewbie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 546

I think you can leave the space between the tile and the wall empty if you have something to sit the mopboard tile on.

Typically, I would put the first course going up a wall on a spacer. Then you'll need to caulk the joint.

As for the height of the base tile, what tile do you have available? I think 1/2 of an 8" tile would look best. It depends on the size of the room. 1/2 of a 12" tile would look pretty high, I imagine. I'm saying 1/2 of a tile, so you can have a factory edge on top.

I suppose if you have a good wet saw, you can cut a 12" tile into 3 pieces and be good.

I would thin-set the tile to the sheetrock.

Now, as for the top of the tile, I'm afraid I would leave the factory edge and do nothing with it. Other options might include cutting a chamfer with a wet saw and using some sort of profile to terminate the top. I think I have seen this in commercial buildings quite a lot lately (dentist's office). The profile will get pricey, however. Bathroom is fine, whole house is another matter.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks so much for the reply....The tile is 12 inch square porcelain and the color does not go all the way through, nor is it rounded on the edge....just flat. I was thinking of having my huband cut it into two 4 inch pieces. (disgarding the rest) The finished flat part on top. It just doesn't look that good without it being colored. Do people actually leave it this way? Would a bead of caulk be a mess? I don't know how to caulk but could learn real fast...smile...I appreciate the help....guess we should have looked for tile with bullnose but never thought to use the tile as baseboard until now and I like the look....Do you think a solid or similar color bullnose that matched the tile we put down would look ok? The bathroom has a medium oak door but the shower is white so we went with a white vanity and I wouldn't know what color wood to use. Seems a lot easier to just use the tile...haha....Thanks for your reply....
DIYnewbie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 546

I would install it and see how you like it. You can always put a bit of caulk on top later. The caulk will serve no purpose other than to give an angled surface for the dust to land on rather than a flat surface.

Because it is a basement bathroom, I wouldn't worry about the fashion police getting down there and checking it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,348

I suggest you look at the aluminum tile edge treatments--google 'schluter tile trims'---these are available in all tile stores and the Home Depot.

grout the tile and trim--use a knife to remove the grout (while wet) from the floor wall juncture--then caulk with a color matching caulk.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

I like Mike's suggestion. It adds a nice finished look to the tile.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

I vote no on the caulk idea. It's going to be hard to keep looking even. I don't think I could easily make it look purty and I'm a purty good caulker. There are some pvc tile cap moldings at the big orange box, I've seen um never used um, its made for this purpose.. Its a 8 ft long piece with a square U cross section one side of U longer than other. Long side slides behind tile, bottom of U over tile short leg about 1/4" down front of tile. Don't know how thick your tile is or what sizes tile cap comes in. PVC can be painted.
Also at big box they've got all sorts of pvc and plastic molding, you might find something that would work. A base shoe on top of tile edge would look almost like a long bull nose. Mite find one that fits or get somebody to rip it to width of tile thickness. And with that smile I bet you can get any body to do anything.
I used a strip of 1/4 thick flat pvc trim ripped down to 3/4" wide on bathroom window sill between tile and aluminum window above tub/shower, didn't want to cut a bunch of narrow tile strips without tile saw, didn't want to use wood because of shower. Painted it to match tile and contact cemented it in space with a grout line between it and tile. Its in better shape 20 years later than i am.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote