Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1

Share |

Threshold Help

Ok, im going to try and explain this as best as possible. I am coming up on the completion of my latest addition. The addition was a back porch that i made living space. So the entrance to the addition was their back patio door, which is being removed. The back wall i took out was around 20' long. Along this wall was of course the patio door and 2 double windows with brick columns in between each of them. At the bottom of each window was brick ledges. So no i am left with just a 20' wall with 2 brick columns. I recently tiled their living room which is on immediate side of demoed wall. Whoever poured slab was about 1 and a 1/2 of from the height of original house slab. So, its a tile to tile transition, with about the inch and a half step down. Keep in mind the two brick columns will break whatever transition i put down.
Im thinking of just using a stain grade 2x6 for transition. Any other suggestions? any will help.
P.S. Floor Leveler is out of question.
Thanks Josh

JGibbsRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Threshold Help

Josh,
So are you saying you are going to have two adjacent floor areas in tile, but what was the old porch floor is 1 1/2" lower than the inside floor?
Is the concrete slab level, or does if fall off away from the house?
What about raising the floor height on the slab up so it matches the other floor? Possibly something like the lightweight concrete used to bury pex tubing in heated floor situations that is pumped into place and basically self levels. If not, how bout some pictures?
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #3

Threshold Help

Yes, they are two adjacent rooms of tile. (or will be once i tile porch) The porch is 1 1/2 lower than existing living room. The porch slab is a pretty jackleg job. Its level but looks like a 3 year old had the bullfloat. Its a 10x20 porch, the homeowner doesnt want to pay for floor leveler.

I actually just got a digital camera so i will get some pics as soon as possible. Just picture walking in a back patio door immediately into a 10x20 room, separated by the 2 brick columns and 1 1/2 step up. Honestly i would love to level it out even pay for the mud, but the homeowner just wants it done. With no more delays.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #4

Threshold Help

Sounds like you're stuck Josh.
It sounds like the owner doesn't really care about the quality of the job. The only problems I see are:
How are you going to lay tile on a concrete floor that sounds like it is nowhere near flat?
If you do lay the tile and it doesn't come out as nice as you would like it, the owner will forever blame you everytime he has someone over that notices it.
When building houses, I would always get customers asking me if they could do their own painting to save money. I told them absolutely not, for the same reason. They would do a lousy job and then blame that sob builder when they had their first house warming party.
So I don't have a good answer for you. I would probably do the threshold like you were talking about initially, but pass on the tile unless the owner would agree to the concrete being leveled out first.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #5

Threshold Help

yeah your right. thanks anyway for the help