Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel
Share |

Thoughts and opinions on "Trafficmaster Allure" flooring from Home Depot?

I am considering this floor as a cheap alternative to wood/laminate, over my concrete basement floor.

For anyone unfamiliar with this floor, it is a floating vynil floor that comes in planks similar to laminate. On one short and one long side of each plank, there is a piece of vynil sticking out roughly 1" with adhesive on it. The install is similar to a T-n-G type floor in that the pieces have to go in the correct direction. Every piece you install adheres to the previous pieces on 2 edges.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed this and what has been your experience with it? Also, how has it held up over time? Do the seems separate?
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zel For This Useful Post:
frankhs (04-11-2010)
Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #2

I've seen one like this from Congoleum but I've never seen it down. It's suppose to be a thinner version of the classic no-wax vinyl plank flooring they use in auto dealerships and similar commercial environments. I have no idea of it's performance but the congoleum is speced for light commercial use so it should be fairly tough.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

Thanks for the reply. I found another forum site with about 8 pages of info about it, and even a company rep was there asnswering questions. I got up to page 5 and all the info was positive. The biggest complaint was the lack of color choices available at that time and the unforgiveness of the adhesive. They said you pretty much had to get the plank in position right the first time, because you couldnt pull them apart and reset the piece. In the end they agreed it was a good thing and would mean less chance of the planks moving once installed.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #4

I seem to recall congoleum's being the same way. Once it's stuck you aren't getting it apart.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #5

I Have Seen This Traficmaster Allure Flooring And Would Like Some Thoughts Of Useing It In A Manufactured Home And How Good It Would Ware Especially With 2 Dogs And Lots Of Foot Trafic. Just How Good It Would Be To Cross The Seperation Of The 2 Sides.
RLNCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #6

I tried it at Home Depot and could get the sections apart and restick them. Maybe it's after the glue sets up that you can't move it. I have to say I really like the look of it, for what it is.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #7

Here's the deal....

I work at a Home Depot in Columbus Ohio. I've been in flooring for a number of years and I know my stuff but Im always looking for ways to better educate my associates and my customers.

Recently I've been looking into the Allure vinyl flooring. We had a customer that bought around 50 boxes to do their whole first floor then got cold feet when it came time to install. Because this is considered a DIY product, our installers in this market will not install Allure Flooring.

Everything Ive seen on this product looks like it would be simple to install but the cust returned the floor and went with something else. Install aside, Im leery of the claim that the product is truly "water resistant".

What I would like to know is what everyone else thinks about Allure, good and bad. I've read a couple messages on the boards here so far so I know we already have a mixed bag.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts.
Ash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash74 For This Useful Post:
rockeee (07-26-2010)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #8

Jury is still out. Its a new unproven product.

No offence , but the fact that only HD carries it would be enough to make me leary of it
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #9

No offense taken.

Allure is HD exclusive but the type of floor and the technology is not. There are several other, more expensive products that work the same way (although the names escape me for now... they're mentioned in another post on this site so I'll look 'em up real quick).

Here we go: Konectousa.com has a similar product in a larger variety of styles than HD. Armstrong also makes a similar product.

Last edited by Ash74; 01-04-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Ash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash74 For This Useful Post:
rockeee (07-26-2010)
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Oldguy

I have now done 3 installs of Allure. It is a relatively simple install. and looks nice when finished. My customers each chose it, and had me install. They are all pleased with the results. I believe it to be well within the average DIYer's ability to install. They will need a tap weasure, razorknife, speed square and straightedge and go for it.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rehabber For This Useful Post:
rockeee (07-26-2010)
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #11

Usually HD carries exclusive products that are made by good manufacturers but sometimes are not as high a quality.
Perhaps this quality is not as good of an install as other higher brands.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #12

I have recently installed the Cherry Allure flooring in our basement, first thing "Heelys" the kid shoes with the roller wheels in the heel are a No -No! Our flooring now has skid marks that I cannot clean up at this moment. These skid marks are most noticeable on an angle as the light reflects upon the markings.

As for the installation it went real well. There has been no separation of the planks other than the ones that I had not placed very well. They can be removed (with patience so not to brake off the glue tabs) and re-installed, but you would have to do this prior to installing the next pieces or it becomes a bit of a project. There may be some edges that rise a bit which I applied my foot to press back down.

I can answer back later in more detail, I gotta run - Grandma's 94th B-day.

Tony M
Martin A C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin A C For This Useful Post:
rockeee (07-26-2010)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #13

I'll be undertaking this project as well. It's going in the basement and i'm not too concerned with it taking a beating. The real stuff is in my upstairs. I just can't believe HomeDepot.com wants to charge me 400 bucks online to ship the stuff. They're insane. I'll just purchase one of the few selections they have at my local shop. Currently it's only Cherry, Oak, Hickory and saw some Teak in there recently. Anyone install something that they liked? My family all seems to like the Cherry.
techdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techdude For This Useful Post:
rockeee (07-26-2010)
Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #14

Due to it's light weight I was thinking of installing the Allure flooring in my travel trailer but I am concerned about the product holding to the wood floor with all the temperature changes and our dog. Has anyone installed Allure or any other light weight type flooring in a travel trailer that has held up in this type of environment and use?
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #15

Just wanted to share our horrible experience with this product to spare others the heartache and frustration we have had this past year. First the seams lifted, which eventually led to Halstead (the manufacturer) refunding our total amount spent on this product. Then upon removal of the product, we found solid MOLD growing under the flooring!! We had installed it in a "dry" walkout basement which is actually a foot above grade/ground level. We had carpet and padding down for 7 years with no moisture/mold issues. Now our cement subfloor has been compromised, and even after cleaning with bleach and water 3 times, we are still told by professionals to seal it with a mold inhibitor paint to prevent any mold spores that are still in the cement from growing in the future. In my opinion, based on our experience, this product has a flaw in it's application for use. It seems to set up conditions for moisture to be trapped and breed mold. You don't have this issue with carpet as it breathes, and you don't have this issue with traditional vinyl because it is glued completely to the subfloor or sealed around the perimeter. This product doesn't require any floor prep in it's install and it doesn't seal out air with any type of gluing down of the floor. In my opinion this allows air and moisture to be trapped under the vinyl, and presto! you have a science project growing in your home! I feel we were lucky to have the seam lifting issue which led to us removing the flooring from our home after only 8 months....what if we had left it for 5 years...can you imagine the mold levels that might have existed then?! Contact me if you want pictures!!!
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mngal For This Useful Post:
ckelly (09-22-2010), ready (09-04-2010), RustPicker (01-05-2014)

Tags
allure, trafficmaster, vinyl flooring