Thoughts On Laminate In Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Thoughts on laminate in kitchen

I've been thinking of installing laminate flooring in my kitchen, but i have heard there can be moisture issues with doing that. Thoughts?

Advertisement

log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by log_doc_rob View Post
I've been thinking of installing laminate flooring in my kitchen, but i have heard there can be moisture issues with doing that. Thoughts?
# 1 do not worry about moisture problems in the kitchen
(unless your sink or dishwasher springs a leak, in wich case, it will ruin everything except for ceramic)
# 2 if like me, you wanted an alternative to hard ceramic/cost of installing it, definately install ceramic look laminate flooring
# 3 try darker colors for this area with food/high traffic to minimize how often you'll have to wash it.

I love my floor in a slate look tile. Very warm, and soft. You can not even see the joints. But don't be afraid, go ahead!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

depends if you're selling your home any time soon. Buyers want tile or wood, no doubt. As a an avid cook, I cannot imagine having wood in the kitchen. Too many spills, drops... Can't imagine it staying clean and not warping eventually. (stone is just as impractical... porous, and needs constant sealing!)

Tile is definitely the prettiest. That being said, it's HARD. If you like to cook a lot, and are standing im the kitchen for hours on end, you will appreciate laminate. It's much softer and kinder on the feet. I think the prettiest option is a stone-like or tile-like laminate

and laminate was the standard flooring throughout the 60's and 70's... there are no problems with moisture barring an extraordinary circumstance as the other poster mentioned.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Cost really isn't an issue. My kitchen floor is only 10x7 and at 70 sq.ft. even expensive flooring isn't costly
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

laminates will eventually fail in a kitchen. I had clients that ruined theirs even before the jobs were done. Tile is good but some do not like the hard cold surface. Wood is warmer but will get damaged with the normal wear in a kitchen. Linoleum is good but not marketable for resale as someone posted people want wood or tile. Tile is preferred in higher end kitchens. So it all comes down to the look and feel you want.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
laminates will eventually fail in a kitchen. I had clients that ruined theirs even before the jobs were done. Tile is good but some do not like the hard cold surface. Wood is warmer but will get damaged with the normal wear in a kitchen. Linoleum is good but not marketable for resale as someone posted people want wood or tile. Tile is preferred in higher end kitchens. So it all comes down to the look and feel you want.
I don't know why you start off with laminates will eventually fail in a kitchen. The truth is, all floors will eventually fail. Everything has a life, wether its 15 years, 25, or 50. There's no reason for you clients to ruin their laminate floors quicker than wood. Dark colored laminate floors will be even more scratch resistant than varnish finish of wood floors in that it won't show as much, and more dent resistant than wood. In any case, if you treat a floor the way it should be treated, it will last. ceramic tile is not the only option...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have prefinished 3/4 inch hardwood flooring in my kitchen and I have had no problem with them whatsoever. I love them.

Yes, if you drop something it will dent. I would not worry about moisture issues unless like the other post said, your dishwasher overflows and you let it sit there all day, then you have a problem. But if you spill something and wipe it up within a reasonable period of time, no problem.

Mine are a very dark colour and the dents don't really show unless you look really close and know they are there.

I have a long runner in front of the sink.

Also, with hardwood flooring you can resand at a later date and look like new again.

For your small space I would go with hardwood.

.............with a dark colour be ready to become really good friends with the dust bunnies........every little bit of dirt, dust shows.......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #8

My friend installed laminate in the kitchen
With in weeks one of his kids spilled liquid by the fridge
Cleaned it up but didn't tell dad & the floor buckled due to liquid under the floor
He had to take a large area apart to fix the problem
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
My friend installed laminate in the kitchen
With in weeks one of hus kids spilled liquid by the fridge
Cleaned it up but didn't tell dad & the floor buckled due to liquid under the floor
He had to take a large area apart to fix the problem
yes, that can be the bad part about laminate flooring..
I know i have droped a gallon of water a few times, and picked up right away, with no damage, but, i didnt' stay any amount of time..
I also have a dog water bowls which could make a huge mess if left wet for a long period of time.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Oh yes, if not cleaned up properly right away, then it will cause damage.

If you have little ones around, keep checking your floors......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Oh yes, if not cleaned up properly right away, then it will cause damage.

If you have little ones around, keep checking your floors......

On this subject, I'm wondering if certain joint types are better for this, and if overall thickness & quality help with this.
If you buy dollar a sq ft 6mm stuff from a big box store, don't expect any resiliance to water. 10mm or thicker with tighter joints might be able to stay wet longer without damage. Mine has gotten wet a few times because of the dog bowl overflowing and staying underneath the water bowl mat, and no damage yet.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Learning by Doing

The problem with flooring materials you have to be vigilant about (careful, gentle, whatever) is that you aren't always going to be there to make sure they are tended too properly. Especially in a high traffic area like a kitchen...

BTW- I hate tile in the kitchen - cold and hard. I've got hardwood right now that due to a chronically leaking dishwasher will need to be replaced (thank you former owner ).
Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
long island, NY

as for laminate durability.... our kitchen was original to the home (built in '75) and has dark wood cabinets, yellow laminate counters, and sheet vinyl floor... think mid-70's chic. The floor, which runs into the laundry room, has lived through numerous washer floods.

well, everything is ugly as heck, but in pristine condition after almost 35 years. so I can attest to the fact that laminate counters and sheet vinyl can last quite a long time w/o wearing out!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #14

[quote=diy'er on LI;326458]
well, everything is ugly as heck, but in pristine condition after almost 35 years. [quote]

sounds like you gotta spend a bit of time on this side and get some reno's underway

Last edited by HABSFAN2006; 09-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.
HABSFAN2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
long island, NY

[quote=HABSFAN2006;326465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI View Post
well, everything is ugly as heck, but in pristine condition after almost 35 years. quote]

sounds like you gotta spend a bit of time on this side and get some reno's underway
I WISH! Cannot afford it right now. The home needs 4 baths redone, the huge eat-in kitchen, and we need to regrate and completely do the backyard (about a 1/3 acre). Right now, we're redoing the main hallway bathroom and lots of small odds and ends we can DIY without much $. we're saving the $ for the yard (water drainage issues and we MUST put a fence around the pool ASAP becuase of my 1 year old son!)

I am increasingly tempted to put new laminate down on the counters and spray paint the yellow appliances though...
Becuase of this home, I will never ever buy anything blue or yellow within my lifetime

Advertisement