Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #1

Share |

Thinset questions

All,

I'm getting ready to remodel the only bathroom in my home in a couple of stages. This weekend we're hoping to demo the floor and vanity, lay hardibacker and ceramic tiles, and install new vanity (and reinstall the new toilet we added a couple weeks ago which will obviously need to be taken up for the tiling).

I know I need to put a thin layer of the thinset under the hardibacker when I install it, but then do I need to stay off of the hardibacker for 24 hours like it says for the tiles?

A follow-up to that is, do I really need to wait 24 hours before walking on the tile? 1 bathroom = 1 toilet in the house. Is there anything we can do to help it dry faster (fans? raise temp in house?)? We were hoping to finish the tiling and wait 12 hours, lay down some boards and plywood on top (to evenly distribute our weight for the remaining 12 hours) and reinstall the toilet and be able to use it.

Thanks!

jkrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
DIY staff

Thinset questions

You should be able to tile right after you nail or screw the backer board down.

You can grout after 12 to 14 hours with latex modified thinset. NEVER USE THE PRE-MIXED glop that the big box stores try to pass off as thinset.

There are several Rapid setting thinset on the market-They are a recipe for failure if used incorrectly.

Best to use the tried and true on your first project.

I prefer durrock over hardi backer----MIKE---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #3

Thinset questions

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I should have mentioned the Thinset we got, we bought a 50lb bag of VersaBond and will mix it ourselves.
jkrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

Thinset questions

No "should" about it, you can start tiling as soon as the last screw is driven.

I know most of the bags say "24" hours, but that makes little sense to me. Usually I get on the tiles to continue or to grout the next morning or about 14-16 hours. Just walk flat-footed and use walking boards as you said.

One bathroom homes can be a problem. That's when grandma or neighbors help. Some people just rent a motel, but may not be necessary unless you have kids or older people.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Tileguy

Thinset questions

Don't use Versabond if you expect to keep your time schedule. You are pushing your luck.

Use the RS (rapid set) thinset from Home Depot and you can grout in about four hours after setting the tile.

Rapid set won't get you in any trouble if you don't mix too much ahead of your ability to install the tile and once it begins to stiffen up in the bucket, get rid of it and mix a new batch.

I'll bet you are working with a room that isn't any larger than 35 square feet and you and a helper can easily turn that room around 100% in twelve hours.