Thinset Coverage Under Saltillo Tile? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

thinset coverage under Saltillo tile?

I am having roughly 1200 sf of 12x12 Saltillo tile put down on a stable 50 year-old slab using Mapei Ultraflex 2 ... which was recommended by the tile seller. The tile is going down nicely but I'm not getting the coverage I expected to get from the thinset. It is working out to about 40 sf per 50 lb bag ... about 1/2 what I was expecting. As far as I can tell the tile guys are not wasting it and are using the recommended trowels. Is this just on the low end of expected coverages or is this indicative of some problem? Thanks.

Peyton

Advertisement

peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

The coverage is dependent on the condition of the substrate and the trowel being used. You said they're using the recommended trowel, but you didn't tell which one. I'll guess they're using a 1/2x1/2 or maybe 3/4". If the 3/4", I might have used a different thin set.

So, no way for anyone to answer your question, but with 12" Saltillo 40-50 ft a bag is reasonable. Are they also buttering the backs of the tiles? When they set, then remove a tile, what % of thin set transfer are they getting? Any oozing of thin set in the joints?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
The coverage is dependent on the condition of the substrate and the trowel being used. You said they're using the recommended trowel, but you didn't tell which one. I'll guess they're using a 1/2x1/2 or maybe 3/4". If the 3/4", I might have used a different thin set.

So, no way for anyone to answer your question, but with 12" Saltillo 40-50 ft a bag is reasonable. Are they also buttering the backs of the tiles? When they set, then remove a tile, what % of thin set transfer are they getting? Any oozing of thin set in the joints?

Jaz
Thanks for the response. We knew nothing going into this so, as I mentioned, we used the thinset recommended by the seller of the tiles because we figured he should know.

As to the substrate, I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are referring to the cement slab, it is a smooth, well cured 50 year-old cement slab. If that is not what you are referring to, please enlighten me.

I'm not at the house right now but I believe it is the 1/2x1/2 ... I'll check on that. I do not believe they are buttering the back of the tile and there is a slight oozing of thinset in the joint but not a lot. The tile-layer, where possible, scrapes that up and reuses it on the next tile.

If 40sf is low but reasonable for a 50# bag, then we are ok. I just thought we would get more coverage.

Peyton
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I put down about 900 square feet of Saltillo around my pool. I thin the coverage sounds reasonable. Another part of the equation is that since Saltillo is a natural product the back is not regular. In fact, many times the tile itself is concave so the tile setters will have to back butter the tile so as not to leave a void.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote