Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,030
Question

thinset between tiles in grout space

i just completed my first ever tiling job. small mistakes and lessons learned, particularly that it is critical NOT to have too much thinset but just the right amount. i used 2" mosaic tiles

my question is what to do with the excess hardened thinset in between the tiles where grout is supposed to go. i understand that if i had used just the right amount of thinset in the first place, the thing wouldn't have spilled up into those spaces. wondering if i can do anything now to fix it.

oh, and i first tried cutting them dry with a 4.5" grinder and a diamond blade, that didn't go to well so i bought a mini MK wet saw which works perfectly.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

There are many tools to use to remove grout from in between tile. I use a painter's 5in1 tool. You can purchase a grout rake with a hook on it at the box stores in the flooring department. It will be a job if there is a lot but, it should do the job.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,070

Utility knife held at a slight angle. It's best to cut the thin set not scrape it. As long as this is not a shower floor with a surface membrane, you're good.

This happens to me too, don't feel too bad. One reason we have to charge more for mosaics.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-10-2011)

Tags
grout, thinset, tile