Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Thin-Set Style products for Indoor Concrete

HI;

Is anyone making any Thin-set type of products that are designed for fairly thin indoor applications that can be troweled / floated out to a smooth surfaced?

I am thinking about stained / acid etched concrete for the finished surface, but can't pour a thick base, it would have to be some type of modified concrete product. The substrate is very stable with little deflection and can easily handle the weight. (most of the floor is 3 -2"x10"'s over 14' [6"x10"]) I think portland might end up cracking in a 1/2" to 3/4" pour, even with some Lime and plasticizers in it, but maybe not? How much deflection can portland with lime in it handle?

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

Sure. The type of product you describe is what we use in concrete overlays. That's the basis of the whole industry, IMO.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Sure. The type of product you describe is what we use in concrete overlays. That's the basis of the whole industry, IMO.
I've used some of the concrete overlay type of products in driveway / garage type of applications where it was left somewhat rough, I've never floated out concrete to a glass finish.

If a fine aggregate is used, then I assume you can float it out to a glass finish with a trowel? I've been doing a fair amount of gypsum / lime plaster work, so I can trowel it out nice and smooth if I have the right material.

If I make a mix myself, is Larsens Acrylic Ad mix 101 about the best additive on the market? (I know Larsen is good from there Plaster Bonding agent) Would you add an additional plasticizer to the mix or just let the lime give the mix its elasticity?

Am I asking for all your secrets?

Jamie
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #4

If you want polished and stained concrete, you have IMO two options depending on what is already there: if you have a concrete base, and let's assume we're talking interior applications only, the concrete can be polished mechanically via diamond grinding through honing right to a high gloss shine. That surface can be stained and then sealed. But this obviously calls for a fairly solid concrete base a couple of inches thick and involves plenty of dust. Shopping centers have some of this type of finish...

If you don't have that base, then an overlay would give you the same result. The total overlay thickness might be 2" or so including the stain and the protective epoxy layer. Both would give you what we refer to as a seamless floor and you'll see this as well in restaurants or clothing stores - probably more often than the first option.

One's more of a mechanical process, the other is more chemical. Both require training to do properly and I'm not aware of the products being used in the second option being offered for general sale...only to trained licencees - but I may be wrong there.

Also, I think the contents are proprietary...mix your own is not what they offer.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 04-13-2009 at 06:55 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Tileguy

Mapei International.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
DIY'er

Thank you both for the responses.

I just read over the Mapei web site, and there Ultratop product sounds perfect for my application. Have you use this product before?

Thanks

Jamie