Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

thickness of plywood underlayment for tile floor?

We are renovating a kitchen. We installed new laminate flooring over a "Platon" underlayment, to separate the laminate from the slab on grade. During the final stage of renovation, our plumber installed water supply pipes to the sink area - during a power outage from Hurricane Irene. when the power came back on in the middle of the night (1 AM), the well pump kicked back on, which is when I found out the plumber had left all the supply lines to the future sink OPEN! I don't know how long the "fountain" was going, but the kitchen had 1/2" of standing water on the laminate. I will be removing the laminate floor to dry the slab - due to concern for mold and ruined flooring - and may decide to put down tile instead. Question is, how thick should the plywood subfloor for tile be if put over the Platon? 1/2" or 3/4"? Thanks.

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Disregard post. I found the answer in a technical brochure. 7/16" minimum thickness

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

From Platon's website:
Quote:
Can be installed in conjunction with any floor covering material – carpet, vinyl, laminate or hardwood
I don't see ceramic on that list. You are about to make a huge mess for yourself. If you want ceramic, put a membrane like Ditra on the concrete and install directly on top. Platon Underlayment is not meant for this.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks. I went back and saw that too. We really want the platon because of the thermal break it provides. We have areas of tile directly on the slab right now and it is quite cold in the winter here in CT and probably chills the room air too. I think that little detail just swayed us back into replacing the flooded area with a higher quality laminate and taking our chances. Thanks very much for your input. Much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Did you consider a vinyl tile? There are several out now that can glue down to the Platon and grout just like real tile. The tile and the grout is far more flexible than ceramic tile and cementitious grout. You can get the look and feel of ceramic without the cold feeling. Permastone has one at a good price point with a proven track record, and Shaw has just come out with a well priced one as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
From Platon's website:
I don't see ceramic on that list. You are about to make a huge mess for yourself. If you want ceramic, put a membrane like Ditra on the concrete and install directly on top. Platon Underlayment is not meant for this.
I guess I am lucky as I was about to proceed on this idea and had layed down "Platon" with 7/16 OSB on top secured with concrete nails(fired through Ramjet) in basement kitchen and bathroom area in prepration of ceramic.
--now what do you envisage as problems / mess....?
I was a bit hesitatant after I walked on the OSB, felt a teeny bit bouncy, after reading your post I have halted the entire project.
--Would Ditra provide some insulation for cold basement floors ?
--Is laying tiles on OSb directly an option ?
I have a storm drain in kitchen area so want to address any possible overflow as well as provide some insulation in cold basements here in Toronto
looking forward to hear from all..
Thanks.
Ami
ami_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

You can not install ceramic tile over most platon floors.
DITRA will offer very little in the way of a thermal barrier.
You can never install ceramic tile directly to OSB.

How about you heat the floor ahead of the tile?