Is There A Flexible Grout For Porcelain Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,806

Is There a Flexible Grout for Porcelain Flooring

I am in the process of installing a porcelain floor (12"x12") in our kitchen. I had to take it all the way back down to the sub-floor as the underlayment (old particle board) was wet and swollen. The sub-flooring is red oak and so are the floor joists. I stiff legged each joist to remove any bounce there may have been.

I had to rip 2 X 4s from 0 to whatever it took, to level the floor as it has some dips and waves in it. I have the 2 X 4s on 8" centers and will use 3/4" plywood as the underlayment. The subfloor will be screwed 6" on center around the perimeter and 8-10" in the field. I am using screws long enough to go through the underlayment and subfloor and feel this should unify the floor and hopefully take care of any bounce.

My question is, is there a flexible grout made for ceramic or porcelain floor tiles, just in case there were a slight amount of give to the floor?

Advertisement

BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Urethane caulk might be one solution.

Advertisement

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I'm very old school, many others will advise concrete backer board and /or a prep under-layment.... Off grade... not on good slab.. ... I would do my best to discuss other flooring options.... if options failed ..I WOULD RESPECTFULLY...pass on the project.. Knowledge gained from o'l time contractors experience (1936.).....

please consider latex additive to grout...

I sleep very good at night....

Follows will be many differing opinions:
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
I'm very old school, many others will advise concrete backer board and /or a prep under-layment.... Off grade... not on good slab.. ... I would do my best to discuss other flooring options.... if options failed ..I WOULD RESPECTFULLY...pass on the project.. Knowledge gained from o'l time contractors experience (1936.).....

please consider latex additive to grout...

I sleep very good at night....

Follows will be many differing opinions:
Big Bob, I am an ole time contractor also, I don't go back quite that far, but far enough though.

I failed to say that I was using Hardy Backerboard on top of the 3/4" plywood underlayment. I don't feel this floor will give but I just like to over do sometimes. The specs are saying 1 1/8" for stiffness and I will have 1 3/4" for subfloor and underlayment with the Hardy Backer. For the last 15 years of my career we restored older antique homes so I am out of touch with the newer stuff and new products are coming up all the time so I was just checking to see if there was a flexible grout on the market. I appreciate your response.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
My question is, is there a flexible grout made for ceramic or porcelain floor tiles
No.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #6

Yes there is such a grout. It's called Quartzlock from Starquartz.com
This stuff is a quartz crystal suspended in an acrylic urethane. It nearly as stain proof as epoxy, easier to use and has much better flexibility than a normal grout. I've heard nothing but good results out of it. It's used quite frequently on heated floors as well. I just put some in my kitchen. It's fairly easy to use and looks good when it's in. Not as easy to use as normal grout but easier than epoxy.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Yes there is such a grout. It's called Quartzlock from Starquartz.com
This stuff is a quartz crystal suspended in an acrylic urethane. It nearly as stain proof as epoxy, easier to use and has much better flexibility than a normal grout. I've heard nothing but good results out of it. It's used quite frequently on heated floors as well. I just put some in my kitchen. It's fairly easy to use and looks good when it's in. Not as easy to use as normal grout but easier than epoxy.
Thanks for this information, this sounds like what I am looking for. Do you have an idea of the cost on two 18 pound buckets? I checked out their website and there is no price list or distributor listing, just an 800 number and e-mail address.

I really appreciate all of you guys responses, thanks to all of you. Jim
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

StarQuartz is proving to be a great product and they sometimes advertise themselves as a "flexible grout" but the truth is it isn't THAT flexible. StarQuart gets very hard and won't allow much movement but maybe slightly more than other traditional grouts. If you expect movement then other steps should be taken to insure a proper installation.

StarQuartz is what is also being labeled and sold as "SnapStone Flexible Grout" and I can assure you there can be cracking-grout issues with movement.

Please don't think StarQuartz is going to let you get away with a tile floor that moves.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
StarQuartz is proving to be a great product and they sometimes advertise themselves as a "flexible grout" but the truth is it isn't THAT flexible. StarQuart gets very hard and won't allow much movement but maybe slightly more than other traditional grouts. If you expect movement then other steps should be taken to insure a proper installation.

StarQuartz is what is also being labeled and sold as "SnapStone Flexible Grout" and I can assure you there can be cracking-grout issues with movement.

Please don't think StarQuartz is going to let you get away with a tile floor that moves.
Thanks Bud, I do appreciate the information, that does help me make a decision of which way I want to go. The floor is solid as superman's kneecaps but at my age there isn't many more things I will be able to do in my life. I have already had to take another floor up that went down the drain with the swollen particle board (which I wouldn't use for anything) and this is into my 4th week with the floor as I can't work for long periods. I don't want to have to take this floor back up and am trying to over kill just in case there is something that moves that I didn't plan for. Thanks again. Jim
Old 09-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #10

What Bud says is completely true. QL is more flexible than normal grout but not by a great deal. All grout is meant to harden into a rigid material. If movement is going to be a huge issue is should be dealt with before the tile goes down.

18LB containers of QL will probably run you anywhere from $150-$200 depending on if you are a contractor or DIY customer and where you get it. Any store that carries Dal-tile ceramics should be able to order QL from Dal-tile.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Has any one tried this product on a regular (not free floating) ceramic tile shower walls? I was told by the box store taht it works great for this because is it stain and mold resistant and easier to use than epoxey grout.
CMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Yes QuartzLock is fine in a shower. BUT, you should use the accelerator with it. This is an additive that speeds to cure time of the grout. It also cuts your working time drastically though, making it more like working with epoxy. If you don't use it I'd allow at least 2 weeks of curing before the shower it put into use. Getting too much moisture on this stuff too soon is the one downfall of it that I've seen. Epoxy chemically cures quicker than a urethane grout will.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

I think I would rather wait two weeks for this to cure than to run into trouble getting the excess grout (grout haze) off.
CMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

On a side note, Quartzlock will leave a haze as well. But it's much easier to remove than the epoxy hazes. All you need is a citrus based cleaner (Krud Kutter is recommended) and a white Scotchbrite pad. This will take the haze right off.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

yes,you can get it from any tile shop,just ask for it,they'll hook you up,lol

Advertisement

detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote