Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Is there any way to get a carpet to lay flat without stretching it?

I just wondered if you guys had any suggestions on my problem. We are attempting to fix up a house for rental. Its a 2000 two story home. The carpet is wrinkled in the middle, which i know usually indicates that it needs stretched. The problem is that some of the wrinkles have small tears in them, and when you try to stretch it, even with your bare hands, it opens the tears and i feel that trying to stretch it out would do terrible damage to it. We dont have the cash to have it replaced, so do you have any suggestions on a temporary fix?
Only need maybe a year or two, any suggestions on how to get it to lay flat without stretching it?

I have a pic of the wrinkles if you need it. Just to put this out there, i dont have high hopes, i just figured i would ask.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Pics would help. But, you could fix the tears with carpet seaming tape and then stretch it.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Is there any way to get a carpet to lay flat without stretching it?-carpet.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

I doubt the tape would work in this situation. That carpet looks tired.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

i figured. It was poor quality to start with and over the last thirteen years its had multiple dogs whizzing on it, i didnt figure there was much we could do to save it. I just hope we can clean it enough to convince a renter to move in for a year or so until we can afford to replace it. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Good luck with that very poor idea.
Bet your going to need new carpet, padding and sealing or replacement of the of the subflooring.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

That's quite abit more than *a* wrinkle or even a couple of wrinkles, that carpet's had it, it's ladfill bait now.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

(Just shaking my head)
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
i figured. It was poor quality to start with and over the last thirteen years its had multiple dogs whizzing on it, i didnt figure there was much we could do to save it.
Re-read that, thinking as a potential renter. What would you think of that landlord?

If you can't afford to replace the carpet, what other sudden expenses are going to come up that you can't afford to fix? Because as a landlord you WILL have surprises like that...

Better to just put down something cheap instead of leaving that crap.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Cheap doesnt last with renters either. The only thing we have found that does is laminate and its too costly at the moment. There is nothing we can do to control the tenants, they pay their rent and their pet deposits, and we have to clean up when they leave. i know the carpet has had it, i am fully aware of that. I just wanted suggestions on if there was a way to make it stretch another year or so.

We keep a supply of things to fix what goes wrong, like pipe fittings, extra receptacles, wire, breakers, lengths of pipe, insulation and drywall, but we dont keep flooring. We have been renting houses out for several years, i think we have just about seen it all.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
i am fully aware of that. I just wanted suggestions on if there was a way to make it stretch another year or so.
Don't even think about, no one is going to want to rent a place with a carpet like that, full of 13 years of dog piss and who knows what else, no I take that back, someone would rent this, someone of the caliber of a meth/drug/booze addict, prostitute, welfare case etc
The carpet is probably THE first thing you see when you enter a room, especially one that's empty, and the eye will zero right on in on any wrinkle and stain.
I would be real surprised if any potential renter didn't specifically ask for new carpet even if you DID get the wrinkles flattened.
Get some cheap carpet at Menards at least, they have some as low as 49 cents a sq foot, even that's better than this landfill reject!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

Somehow i think that wrinkled carpet in one room is a small price to pay for a two story three-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bath home, in the country, on a full acre, for only $800 a month. But i suppose we will see, we are currently in the process of showing the house. I said there have been dogs pissing on it, i didnt say it was full of dog piss. We have steamcleaned it at least four times, once with white vinegar, and there is no smell in the home, so the only thing wrong with the home now is the wrinkles in the carpet.
The majority of the people who see this house, the first words out of their mouths is "Wow, its so beautiful!" carpet notwithstanding.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

I'm reminded of the old 'horse crap and ice cream' scenario. Doesn't matter how much ice cream you add to manure, nobody's going to want any. But add even the tiniest amount of manure...

But then maybe you're catering to a rental population that doesn't care (or is too stupid to care) that they're trodding across carpet that's got animal urine in it. I'd wonder if they'd choose that over cheap new carpet if it only meant a few dollars more per month in rent. Just how would that get worded in the ad... "piss free carpet for only $25 more per month!"

Regardless, when it's worn like that there's no amount of stretching or smoothing that's going to work effectively. How this wasn't obvious, and why you even argue for it, is anyone's guess.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
How this wasn't obvious, and why you even argue for it, is anyone's guess.
I know it cannot be saved. Ive said that twice. I KNOW. All im saying is i dont think it will stop a renter from renting it. When you allow pets, this is what you deal with. We have the edge because we allow pets, most rentals dont. Not like theres holes in the walls or pieces of carpet missing or broken pipes or crackheads next door, just some wrinkles.
This is one of the main reasons i dont post here much, you people see a question and treat people like they are morons just because they dont know as much as you do. Thats why people come here, for answers, not to be treated like they are five years old.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
This is one of the main reasons i dont post here much, you people see a question and treat people like they are morons just because they dont know as much as you do. Thats why people come here, for answers, not to be treated like they are five years old.
First- kudos for allowing pets in the rental!

Second, regarding the above, it's not that we are trying to insult you or anything, but multiple people have already indicated the wrinkles aren't going away no matter what you do because that carpet is beyond it's normal life expectancy, we can't change that for you or fix that- the carpet is dead, even you have said it with;

Quote:
I know it cannot be saved. Ive said that twice. I KNOW.
Yet you almost want us to provide some kind of miracle technique or solution for a fix, and there just isn't any.
We KNOW money is tight and the last thing you want to do is spend a few hundred more bucks on new carpeting, but unfortunately no on one here sees keeping THAT carpet as viable or reasonable for the next tenant.
I have 3 big dogs, including one who is over 13, they do have accidents, they do spill water, but I have porcellain TILE on the floors in my house not one piece of carpet, so I do know your delemma, but even though I am a dog owner I would cringe at that carpet.

We are not going to sit here and feed you the answers you want and hope for when we know it's not the right ones, we're going to give you the facts and answers appropriate to the situation, repair needed, or installation- that doesn't mean were condescending on you or deliberately insulting you, we're giving unbiased opinions without sugar coating them.

The fact has already been said by several- the wrinkles are going nowhere but it's almost as though you don't believe us and I know I've seen people get so focussed on something to the point they don't see the whole picture.

Quote:
Somehow i think that wrinkled carpet in one room is a small price to pay for a two story three-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bath home, in the country, on a full acre, for only $800 a month.
Well with the economy today there's tens of thousands of homes up for rent or abandoned, trying to even sell a house in most areas today is murder- it's not a good time to be a home seller or landlord. Depending on the area, if there's no jobs around no one is going to move into an $800 rental there.
There's loads of houses in my town for sale, not only a large selection but there's no JOBS here in a small town and the nearest larger town is a 45-50 minute drive away on secondary roads.
One guy has been trying to sell lots on his land for the last ten years, he hasn't sold even one.
Another guy converted an old former hospital into 3 condos priced at $100,000 a decade ago, he only found one buyer, the other two are still vacant.

The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-28-2013)