Is There Any Clear Options For Filling Cracks In Wood Flooring? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is There Any Clear Options for Filling Cracks in Wood Flooring?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and apologize in advance if this posting is in the wrong section. I have a question about wood flooring and couldn't find any other appropriate place to ask.

I'm a renter and have new wood floors in my apt. Unfortunately I recently encountered a pest problem (the worse, bed bugs) and was told to fill all the cracks in my wood floors. I went to home depot but couldn't find a wood filler color that would match my floors. I thought a clear filler existed but obviously I thought wrong. I don't have a sander to sand and then mix that with the filler. I guess I could buy one but is there an easier solution?

I read clear drying glue could be used to fill the cracks. Is this true? And would it be more time consuming? Afraid cleaning up the glue excess glue outside the cracks might not be as easy as with the filler (just wiping with a damp towel).

Any and all info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I started using the filler but it's not as aesthetically pleasing as I would like it to be and would really like to use a clear option if one exists. Thanks again for any feedback!

Advertisement

RobinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If this is a new floor, there should not be any unacceptible gaps. Is the floor prefinished or job site finished? What kind of wood? Find a hardwood supply store and purchase the proper filler.

Advertisement

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

i doubt that sealing the cracks in the floor will get rid of the bedbugs. if the bugs are in the floor did you have an exterminator come in? info online says to wash everything in hot water and vacuum everything. spraying with alcohol/water will kill them but has to actually contact them is what i read. id worry about the mattress and linen. if it was carpet on the floor all you could do is vacuum it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #4

"there should not be any unacceptible gaps" - woodman58

@woodman58,
That's why I mentioned why I was filling the gaps because under normal circumstances I wouldn't consider any of the gaps "unacceptable" and certainly wouldn't care about filling them. I'm happy with my wood floors as is and they have very few gaps at all but unfortunately under current circumstances any gap present is an unacceptable gap.

"i doubt that sealing the cracks in the floor will get rid of the bedbugs." -DannyT

@DannyT,
If sealing the cracks in the floor would get rid of bed bugs I wouldn't have even joined this forum to ask the question about clear filling. I would have already happily filled them with the Red Oak Pro Finisher Wood Filler I'm staring at now

"vacuum everything"
Vacuuming daily already but filling the cracks in the flooring would mean not having to worry about missing one small spot in the process. I'm not a robot so a spot might be missed. Human error.

"if it was carpet on the floor all you could do is vacuum it.'
It's not carpet tho it's wood and unfortunately I need to fill the gaps and preferably I want to fill the gaps with clear filling. Any advice?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

they do make a latex caulk that is white when it comes out of the tube so you can see where you put it and dries clear. home depot or lowes should carry it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #6

"a latex caulk that is white when it comes out of the tube so you can see where you put it and dries clear."

This sounds like it will work perfect. I know latex might not bond to the wood and stay in the gaps forever but not looking for it to last forever. Just need to fill the gaps until I exterminate this problem. Will test it out tonight and see how it works out. Thank u so much!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

If you put latex caulk on your floor, you'll find out quickly how well it attracts and holds dirt.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,280

I hope you got your landlord to sign off on this........
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I hope you got your landlord to sign off on this........
My sentiment exactly if you are a renter then the landlord should be addressing this problem.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #10

Long story short, after caulking all my baseboards I didn't want to caulk anymore so I ended up using the wood filler and not the clear caulk for the floors.

The wood filler isn't a perfect color match but I don't think anyone will notice the difference but me and if it bothers me I can always redo it later and match the color.

I appreciate the info just the same because I did end up using the clear caulk on others things (around electrical outlets, small cracks in my wood bed frame, etc) so thanks again for suggesting it.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
Long story short, after caulking all my baseboards I didn't want to caulk anymore so I ended up using the wood filler and not the clear caulk for the floors.

The wood filler isn't a perfect color match but I don't think anyone will notice the difference but me and if it bothers me I can always redo it later and match the color.

I appreciate the info just the same because I did end up using the clear caulk on others things (around electrical outlets, small cracks in my wood bed frame, etc) so thanks again for suggesting it.
I just wanted to add about the wood filer that doesn't match...try mixing a few colors together to get a better color match..some people have done that and like it. On the down side, with those wood fillers, I just talked to a woman whose husband used the wood filler and she was flipping out because she told me it looked like a kid drew with crayons all over the floor!! LMAO! I'll bet anything, either Ohmike or BudCline have some ideas. Regardless, and most of all, it is a problem your landlord needs to be addressing, not you. Good luck. (by the way, I'm certainly NOT dis'ing any of the other comments, ALL replies are helpful)
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #12

I ignored all the "landlord" comments/replies only because I live in a 75 unit building run by a management company (not a landlord) and they manage over 30 buildings in the city and don't care that tenants in this building are literally destroying the public areas so I seriously doubt they care what anyone does inside their apts.

That said even though I'm a renter I still overall treat my apt as I would my home if I owned it except of course when it comes to certain repairs/remodeling. I will not invest too much time or money into certain improvements unless completely needed/wanted. The cracks in the wood floors only needed to be filled because of the bed bug situation.

And if my "landlord" (management company) cared about anything they would have gutted the apt next to me already and started to remodel it. Last tenant literally destroyed it and was living there with a huge bed bug infestation for over a year. I couldn't live with them for one night so how someone (with kids) lived that way for over a year is beyond my comprehension. Super let me in to see the apt (and to let pest control in to spray) and I was literally shocked by what I saw. I couldn't have destroyed a place that way if u payed me to do it and the fact management has let it sit there in that condition for almost 2 months now is insane.

Anyone can get bed bugs but as far as I'm concerned in the end its filthy people (and/or mentally/physically challenged people) like my ex neighbor who live with them and do nothing to eradicate the problem who are to blame for spreading the problem and allowing it to become this epidemic that it's becoming.

I believe (hope) I am rid of them now but it took almost 4 weeks and A LOT of time, work and money.

Back to the clear wood filler, after using the latex clear caulk on other things I would have never used it on my wood floors ever. It was a sticky mess (and it smelled horrible). No way would it have worked on my floors. So please no one worry, my "landlord" would approve I would never do anything to my apt that I wouldn't want someone else to do if I owned it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
On the down side, with those wood fillers, I just talked to a woman whose husband used the wood filler and she was flipping out because she told me it looked like a kid drew with crayons all over the floor!! LMAO!
LOL! Thankfully mine doesn't look like crayon (i'd be so sad and so pissed!) and it isn't very obvious but when I shine a flashlight on it it is VERY obvious. Because it's already lighter once LED light is on it the lighter color then really stands out. A friend came over and didn't notice at all then I bust out the flashlight and she was like "Damn! u filled all those cracks!" lol! She still didn't think the color was that off she just couldn't believe I spent the time doing it. Unfortunately she like many others told me I should just move but I don't want to move. I like my apt (although not my building) and I like my neighborhood. I've been here 4 years and would like to stay awhile longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
Good luck.
Thanks! I need it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #14

To Robin NYC; I think it's well known NYC has a bad infestation of bedbugs...I really feel for you. I am the same way with my rentals as well. They are my home and I take care of it. So, if I come across any other good advice for you, be sure I will pass it on. Take care.
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

No suggestions on the wood filler but diatomaceous earth is all natural and kills and prevents bed bugs and lots of other bugs by drying them out. Its nothing more than ground up sea creatures skeletons and stuff. Anyway its a fine white dust you can find it at pool supply stores because its used in the filters. About $5 for a huge box. Put it along the base boards and in any cracks. Redo after vacuuming

Advertisement

mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote