Is It Termite Damage? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it termite damage?

My family is looking at a house, but we are concerned that there might be some termite damage to the floor. We only see it in one room of the house although there is hardwood throughout. The first picture shows a close-up of the damaged area with the damage repaired in the past with wood filler. The second shows the creack running the length of the room, just to the left of the whitest board. We were told a pest company found no termites a few years back and did a treatment. Any help on figuring out if this might be due to termites is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images

Advertisement

Homework to do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Is it termite damage?

If you can see saw dust then most likly it's not Termites, but if it's like dirt or mud then it may be.
Best way to find out is from under the house.
If it's not terimites it could still be any number of other wood eating insects.
Old wood bores, powder post bettles, carpender ants leave saw dust behind.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Is it termite damage?

I did not see any dust, etc although it is kept clean. I cannot think of anything that would cause this kind of damage other than insects. It is not something structural because the wood is perfectly level on both sides of the gaps. Our assumption is that it is an insect of some type. I know a home inspection would figure it out, but we are unsure if we want to go that far if it is insects because the hidden damage is always worse and we have opportunity to consider other homes.
Homework to do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Is it termite damage?

If that's your main concern then call an exterminator. Most will check it for free.
It could be as simple as someone tried to fill the gap with wood filler.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

Is it termite damage?

Looks to me like someone got to lazy with the sander, when they refinished the floor. Termites normally do not attack flooring, unless it is stacked up in a basement, next to a wall. Otherwise, they love dark next to the dirt, places that humans will not disturb them.

If in the process of pre-buy, use a Home Inspector that YOU hire, not one that the sellers or realtor reccommends. ASHI has a site that lists licensed HI's and your state should also have a site you can check them out. Your best bet is to find one that has been around in the business for a long time, or grew up with family in the trades.

You yourself can also see things that you may question, and make a list, so that you can bring those items up with the HI before they do the inspection, and then you have some bargaining to see if the sellers bite.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Is it termite damage?

I've neen termites eat through the subfloor and white oak flooring then eat into a phone book that had been sitting on the floor. I opened the book and they came falling out.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

Is it termite damage?

Also to add, since it is a old floor, it would have shrunk over the years, and the gaps if too large, could have been filled with filler.

Joe, but how nasty was the house, and what part of the country, was it in.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Is it termite damage?

It does not look like termites to me. It actually looks like a crack that was filled with wood filler that has cracked over time due to expansion and contraction of the wood.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

Is it termite damage?

I agree that it looks like woodfiller. What is more interesting is that spline that runs the length of the room.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote