Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Terazzo floor cleaning

One of our men's restrooms in our office building has terrazzo flooring (this is an old 1950s office building). Up until now we have had custodians come in and do basic cleaning - sweeping, mopping, taking out the trash on a weekly basis Because of budget cuts it looks like we will be doing our own housekeeping, which is fine. We will probably do a better job.

Due to improper care over the years (and negligence before we moved in) the terrazzo flooring looks pretty bad. Now, I know the proper way to resurface and clean terrazzo (have seen videos). As there are budget problems, there is no way we can afford someone to come in and properly resurface and clean the floor with the proper machines (especially when there are more important maintenance issues). My question is this- would it be worth it to take some water and one of those green scrub pads for cleaning dishes and clean the surface of the terrazzo floor? I know this will not do much to get stains and stuff out of the stone, but how about taking the surface grim off? The custodians mop, but it never seems to actually get clean.

This is what I was thinking... using hot water and a scrub pad to go over the floor, getting dirt and grim off the surface and then using a sealer for terrazzo to seal and protect from further damage and staining. I know this will not restore the floor to almost new condition or get stains out, but it should get the surface clean, right? Or will I screw up the terrazzo? Truthfully, the floor already is screwed up because a few spots have deteriorated (eroded) due to old leaks that didn't get fixed for a long time. Any thoughts from some of the more experienced floor/tile people that have dealt with terrazzo flooring? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote