Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Temporary flooring over concrete slab?

We are going to convert an interior atrium and a covered patio into livable space by installing a concrete slab on grade (like the rest of the house). The "covered patio" is actually within the building frame, so all we need to do is put a sliding glass door across the opening. The atrium, which was open to the sky and full of plants, is now covered with roof and skylights.

According to the structural engineer, the walls around these spaces can be removed. So the plan is to knock down the walls and put in a slab that ties into the existing surrounding slab.

The problem is that we don't have enough money to do the total kitchen remodel at the same time, which will include floor replacement. The existing flooring around these new slab areas is carpet and saltillo tile.

So I'm looking at various options for temporary, low-cost flooring, to last about 3-5 years before we can take up all the flooring and re-do it. Obviously, ease of removal will be a plus. Preferably, I'd like something that does not look like temporary, low-cost flooring, but I realize that is at odds with my goal.

The sliding glass door is the main door to our pool. It does not get a ton of wet traffic, but I'd prefer something that is somewhat water-resistant.

The total square footage is about 300 feet.

So what do you think? Carpet? Laminate? Something else?

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,128

#1 a slab on grade is a sure way to have water getting in under the walls.
#2 If you try and install a slider close to the grade water will at some point come in under the threshold.
Any flooring installed will have to deal with moisture rising through the slab and coming in around the edges.
Even paint would pop off.
Adding a row of block around the outside and building the walls on top of that, laying a vaper barrier and using foam below the slab will help with the moisture and make the floor warmer. Grading away from the foundation, adding gutters over the door area, using a jamb sill will help keep water out.
Siding should never be installed within at least 6" of the ground.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Remember, even when installed right a concrete slab takes a minimum of 28 days per inch to dry. A standard 4" slab takes 112 days. Then it needs to be moisture tested, cause that is just a minimum time.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 a slab on grade is a sure way to have water getting in under the walls.
Nearly every house built in the last 30-40 years around here is slab on grade.

Quote:
#2 If you try and install a slider close to the grade water will at some point come in under the threshold.
the concrete patio is well drained with deck drains, the sliding doors currently have about a 1" threshhold. Bear in mind that we live in nearly a desert climate, only 14" of rain annually.

Quote:
Any flooring installed will have to deal with moisture rising through the slab and coming in around the edges.
Even paint would pop off.
Since this was my original question, what kind of flooring would that be? The carpet seems to be holding up OK, as does the saltillo tile.

Quote:
Adding a row of block around the outside and building the walls on top of that, laying a vaper barrier and using foam below the slab will help with the moisture and make the floor warmer. Grading away from the foundation, adding gutters over the door area, using a jamb sill will help keep water out.
The exterior walls are already built, 30 years ago. Same with the interior walls that we will be keeping. Vapor barrier and foam under the new slab may be a good idea.

Grading is done by concrete patio, drained by deck drains. Gutters surround the house. I'll look into jamb sills.

Quote:
Siding should never be installed within at least 6" of the ground.
Our house is stucco.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 05-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Remember, even when installed right a concrete slab takes a minimum of 28 days per inch to dry. A standard 4" slab takes 112 days. Then it needs to be moisture tested, cause that is just a minimum time.
I suppose that's another good reason to put in "temporary" floor. I do know that you have to be careful not to install wood flooring on a new slab. Does that apply to other materials as well?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
I suppose that's another good reason to put in "temporary" floor. I do know that you have to be careful not to install wood flooring on a new slab. Does that apply to other materials as well?
Yep....
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,128

http://jamsill.com/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I have worked in the flooring industry for about 10 years and I would definitely stay away from laminate or any product that has a medium/high density fibreboard core. If these get wet/absorb water they will be ruined. A little spill here and there is fine, but not much more than that.

Depends how inexpensive you want to go but there is some vinyl out there now that looks quite nice, low cost, and good with moisture. (We don't carry this, but it is out there)

My personal favorite is strand woven bamboo but that may be out of your price range, not sure.

Last edited by beenthere; 05-03-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Removed link adertising her site
TLynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,554

Forum Advertising Rules:
The rules regarding our advertising policies are pretty simple. You are not allowed to advertise on this site unless you pay for a banner ad. If you are interested in purchasing a banner ad please Contact Us.
  • Participants may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
  • Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.
  • Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
  • Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
  • Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
  • Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
  • Members and/or users may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
  • Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
  • Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
  • Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry I was not trying to spam anyone, thanks for sending the rules!

TLynd is offline   Reply With Quote