Temporary Flooring Install - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Temporary flooring install

I've come to the conclusion that it will be 3-5 years before I have the money saved for the tile I really want in our entry. I went searching for something cheap to put down until then as my husband objects to living on sub-floor.

I found these pre-glued vinyl tiles stamped to look like stone (do a decent job of it too). They are 6x6 and you grout between them once they are laid. I got all I needed to do the entry on clearance for $3.20.

I want the job to perform but I want it to be easy-ish to remove. My plan is to screw 1/4 inch plywood to the subfloor and install over that. I am wondering if you guys think a) installing the floor this way will work and b) it will be easy to rip out when I can afford the materials I really want.

Thanks!

Advertisement

MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

What is down on your floor now?....
I personally wouldnt trust groutible P&S tile especially on 1/4" ply. And or if you mean going over the stone P&S with 1/4" to install tile will not work for you kinda confused on what you want to do with the 1/4 ply.
Pending what on your floor now I would prepare for the future install and put sheet linoleum down glue less.

Advertisement

Last edited by JetSwet; 03-24-2012 at 03:48 PM.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Right now it's just subfloor. But it took so much work to get down to subfloor that I don't want to have to do it again. Sadly, it's 1.5" particleboard typical of an 80's tract home in this area.

I figured the peel & stick vinyl tile wasn't a great product when I found it marked down to $.05 a sq ft but as it is temporary, I figured "what the heck".
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

The ply is going to go under the tile so it's easy to pull up in 3-5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissKat For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-03-2013)
Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Pro

Ok well make shore you use sanded ply.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 686

Partical board and 1/4 plywood are not sutable subfloors or underlayment for tile floors, so at some point it's going to all have to come out.
There's a good reason that flooring is being sold so cheap. Google the style and brand name on the net and add the word complaints.
Anyplace I've seen it used the grout failed.
A laminite that looks like tile would last far longer, not need to be attached to the floor, would not need the 1/4 plywood under it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Pro

Joes right a laminate would be a much better option in this case, I still don't think putting 1/4 for easy dismantle down the road will remedy anything.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
I've come to the conclusion that it will be 3-5 years before I have the money saved for the tile I really want in our entry. I went searching for something cheap to put down until then as my husband objects to living on sub-floor.

I found these pre-glued vinyl tiles stamped to look like stone (do a decent job of it too). They are 6x6 and you grout between them once they are laid. I got all I needed to do the entry on clearance for $3.20.

I want the job to perform but I want it to be easy-ish to remove. My plan is to screw 1/4 inch plywood to the subfloor and install over that. I am wondering if you guys think a) installing the floor this way will work and b) it will be easy to rip out when I can afford the materials I really want.

Thanks!
That should work and will be easy to take up. When you get ready for the ceramic, the particle board will need to come up. .
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-03-2013)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
That should work and will be easy to take up. When you get ready for the ceramic, the particle board will need to come up. .
Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

are you sure it's particle board and not OSB?

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

It looks like particleboard but is harder than normal particleboard. Maybe called chipboard? Not sure. It's definitely not OSB.

I found out from a friend who does flooring that it's not great subfloor halfway through installing pre finished T&G hardwood throughout the house. D'oh!

So the plan is to replace the subfloor when I do the final job and pray that the half the house with the crap subflooring keeps its integrity.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Could be MDF (medium density fibreboard) It looks like particleboard. Still needs to come out for ceramic.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #13

I know you guys hate not knowing, so I'm back to let you know the outcome. I was about to take your advice and just put down a sheet of vinyl when my grandmother heard about what I was going to do. She has offered to pay for flooring. So now I get to figure out what I want and how to put it in. Thinking of going with ceramic tile. Easy to clean, affordable and commensurate with my middle class neighborhood.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 686

Before tile you need to go back to square one and figure out if the floor will even support tile.
Joist size, free span, spacing.
What's there for a subfloor.
If the floor flexs the grout and tile will just crack.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #15

Yep. Yep. Totally willing to do that. Not afraid of hard work, just going broke.

I am going to wait till things warm up a bit to do all that though.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Advertisement