Tarkett / Engineered Wood Floor Installation - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

tarkett / engineered wood floor installation

Hello everyone!

I'm going to install tarkett engineered wood flooring in my kitchen. I currently have 3 entrances into the kitchen with 2 1/4" hardwood floor. The tarkett is about 4" wide.

My question is this: should I install the new flooring perpendicular to the old OR to keep it running the same direction (and somewhat hide the difference in the widths with the threashold)? The floors are almost identical in color and pattern with the exception of the width.

Thanks.

Advertisement

momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
msv
Hardwood pro

i'd change it. breaks the space as a different room. IMO, the difference is a lot more obvious if you keep the direction. is the new floor going to be level with the existing one? cause if it is, you might not need thresholds.
MSV

Advertisement

msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

First, thank you for taking time to answer my question with such a thoughtful answer.

I currently have the tile squares over the sheet vinyl. A repair was made to the sheet vinyl 3 yrs ago so that's why it was covered w/ the square vinyl tiles. I dislike them both.

After removing the vinyl squares on top, the sheet vinyl and the HW floor is exactly level to 1/16" higher. I hesitate to remove the sheet vinyl as I'm not sure what's underneath and the condition.

Let me say I think your previous anwer was "right on" and confirmed what I was thinking (about placing the floor perpendicular to the existing HW floor).

I want the floor to look professional and will remove the sheet vinyl and install new subfloor if that's the way I should go.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
msv
Hardwood pro

if the vinyl is level with the existing flooring, that means that the kitchen has an extra layer of subfloor. you should be able to remove that and install a thinner one. existing floor height=new subfloor+new floor in kitchen.
good luck.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks so much!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

It is a manner of procedure to install a 1/4" underlayment under a vinyl floor but that doesn't mean that's what you have under your vinyl. To continue to heap floor on top of floor is never a good idea. More investigation should be done to see what is there exactly.

Fasteners won't hold properly if they have several different laminations of older floors to penetrate. It is always best to start with the original subfloor.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It is a manner of procedure to install a 1/4" underlayment under a vinyl floor but that doesn't mean that's what you have under your vinyl. To continue to heap floor on top of floor is never a good idea. More investigation should be done to see what is there exactly.

Fasteners won't hold properly if they have several different laminations of older floors to penetrate. It is always best to start with the original subfloor.
Hi Bud: Thanks for the info... I'll investigate and get back to you.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

Hi Again:
I just checked the floor and the vinyl sheet flooring appears to be laid directing on top of the subfloor (no underlayment). Would you suggest taking it up to the subfloor and install some kind of underlayment and then the tarkett?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #9

Hi Again:
I just checked the floor and the vinyl sheet flooring appears to be laid directing on top of the subfloor (no underlayment). Would you suggest taking it up to the subfloor and install some kind of underlayment and then the tarkett?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Tileguy

If the vinyl is 100% glue-down and not simply perimeter glued and there is no underlayment to help in the removal then removing the vinyl may be a task that would serve no real purpose. You would gain the 1/16" you may think you need/want, but at what cost.

Predicting an accurate finished-elevation may be the prime concern, so you would have to determine that.

If you have floor vents you can investigate the actual floor layers there. Remove the diffuser and look between the edge of the floor and the metal duct to view the layers of construction that have taken place.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
If the vinyl is 100% glue-down and not simply perimeter glued and there is no underlayment to help in the removal then removing the vinyl may be a task that would serve no real purpose. You would gain the 1/16" you may think you need/want, but at what cost.

Predicting an accurate finished-elevation may be the prime concern, so you would have to determine that.

If you have floor vents you can investigate the actual floor layers there. Remove the diffuser and look between the edge of the floor and the metal duct to view the layers of construction that have taken place.
Hi Bud:
Let me understand what the overall picture is on installing the new flooring and what I need to remove. The whole purpose is to make the new floor as close to level with the existing HW floor. Correct? And also it would be good to put down an underlayment?

It that's correct, I will work towards that end.

Thanks so much. Warm Regards from Fairfax, VA!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Tileguy

The goal is to match elevations as well as possible without heaping layers. IF, the vinyl is attached directly to the structures subfloor, it would be a bear to remove if 100% glued and it does not (alone) represent enough thickness or movement to effect anything. If it had its own independent underlayment that would be a different story.

So...
a little math will tell you how much fill you need to bring the new floor up to the same elevation as the adjacent flooring.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
msv
Hardwood pro

you did say that the vinyl is more or less level with the existing hardwood floors, right? if so, that means that the kitchen has an extra layer of subfloor which you can remove. after you did that, do the math to see the difference between the existing HW and the tarkett. that difference will be the thickness of the new layer of plywood that you should put down prior to installing the tarkett. that's how you will obtain the same level on the finished product. Check the vent(if you have one in there) for an exact picture of how many layers of subfloor you curently have, though... when you install the new layer of subfloor, use both glue and screws to attach it. try to hit the frame joists with the screws.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #14

Hi - Thanks for now. I appreciate all your input and time!

Advertisement

Tags
engineered flooring , tarkett