Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Tacky, black...death?

I recently bought a house built in the late 50's and it hasn't seen a remodel in quite some time (everything is covered in paneling).

When we first moved in (last month), I took the carpet out of the bathroom (yuck) and underneath was this white, speckled tile. I pulled a tile up and underneath was this tarlike substance that was quite gooey.

I apologized for disturbing it and replaced the tile.

I wasn't ready to do the bathroom yet, so I covered the old white tile with 42 cent sticky tile.

Now I'm ready to attack the beast.

I've heard that you can't really get all of the "black stuff" out and the best thing that you can do is to seal it somehow and build on top. Could somebody confirm or deny this?

I'm wanting to use the mosaic tile sheets, so can I just grout over the "tar"?

It's a pretty small bathroom, but it's the main one of the house, so I really don't want any of my guests contracting leginaires disease as I'm sure that the "tar" isn't just "tar".

All advice welcome.

rikkijustmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Tacky, black...death?

Legionaire's disease is caused by a bacteria that lives in water. I doubt your sticky black stuff qualifies. And no you can't just set ceramic tiles in grout on top of the black goop. You'll want a cement backer board down first................... one of the tile guys will be along to give you better advice.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #3

Tacky, black...death?

I ran across some similar stuff when I tore up my kitchen flooring. I actually had an abatement contractor come out and look at the floor and his advice was to either cover it up and move on, or tear it out myself. The adhesive and tiles are a very low asbestos content compared to pipe insulation or wall insulation which are very friable. To actually have any real risks with the tiles and glue you pretty much would have to put it on a bench grinder and make dust out of it. He also commented that removal of the tiles has been deregulated in a lot of areas and if you really wanted to you could pay the neighborhood brats to remove it.

As for your house guests - they breath in more asbestos walking down the street than they could ever get by walking in your bathroom.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #4

Tacky, black...death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkijustmike View Post
I recently bought a house built in the late 50's and it hasn't seen a remodel in quite some time (everything is covered in paneling).

When we first moved in (last month), I took the carpet out of the bathroom (yuck) and underneath was this white, speckled tile. I pulled a tile up and underneath was this tarlike substance that was quite gooey.

I apologized for disturbing it and replaced the tile.

I wasn't ready to do the bathroom yet, so I covered the old white tile with 42 cent sticky tile.

Now I'm ready to attack the beast.

I've heard that you can't really get all of the "black stuff" out and the best thing that you can do is to seal it somehow and build on top. Could somebody confirm or deny this?

I'm wanting to use the mosaic tile sheets, so can I just grout over the "tar"?

It's a pretty small bathroom, but it's the main one of the house, so I really don't want any of my guests contracting leginaires disease as I'm sure that the "tar" isn't just "tar".

All advice welcome.
I mostly just wanted to say that the bolded text made me laugh

You can get adhesive remover (I got mine at Menard's) which should take up most of the tar type stuff. Its pretty easy to use, although make sure you have adequate ventilation, and gloves! You just brush it on with a cheap brush, and then scrape it away about 15 minutes later.. The stuff on my floor wasn't tar, but the container says that it will get that up too.

Or you could just cover it up too
de_sjiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Tileguy

Tacky, black...death?

What's under the black adhesive?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Tacky, black...death?

a Legionnaire
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Get out of the box!

Tacky, black...death?

The "Black Mud" is called "Cutback", it has haunted the industry since it arrived. It may contain asbestos.
It came to the market for tile- VCT. The abestos was removed in 1979 but it was allowed for the stock to be sold.The stock stayed in circulation for the next 3-5 years.
After the asbestos was remove the glue stopped sticking properly and was removed from the market.

We have encountered some real nightmares over the years.

As far as the removal Cellophane is correct except for the deregulation. it is still very regulated it is just not highly enforced like before. I have a personal friend that does abatements in Louisville and Southern Indiana. As matter fact he lives not far from my shop.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Tacky, black...death?

I have to agree. No-one has deregulated asbestos containing materials. If it contains more than 1% asbestos it's considered asbestos containing and subject to regulation. Regulations for removal are limited to "friable" materials, meaning those that can be reduced to powder that could become airborne. Whether floor tiles qualify as friable depends on the condition of the tile and the method used to remove them. Wet removal of adhesive would not constitute an airborne hazard. Dry scraping of dried out adhesive would. Tiles that come up intact would not be a problem, while tiles that crumble would be.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #9

Tacky, black...death?

I can't verify the presence of a Roman or French soldier under the tar/"cutback" (Legionaire Joke), but the stuff is on the slab. The tiles pretty much come right up (they may break in half, but they don't crumble).

Does the adhesive remover cause the "cutback" to harden before scraping?

At present, it seems to have the consistency of tacky cosmoline, so whatever I use to get it up (and wear to do it) would probably have to be donated to Waste Management unless the remover can convince it to get crusty.

As far as getting kids to do the work, I may hold off on that. I've already got that other thing on my record, so I'm keeping a low profile right now (joke).

Thanks for the replies, everybody.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Tacky, black...death?

Just make sure that Waste Management doesn't know what you are disposing or they won't take it. I have to put empty paint cans and glue buckets in trash bags so they will take them.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Tacky, black...death?

Around here, floor tiles are not an issue. Wrap them in plastic and seal it and it's all good. In fact any non friable material can be wrapped and go to a regular landfill. Empty cans (completely empty), are never an issue as long as the lids are off. Even half empty cans aren't a problem if the material is hardened.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #12

Tacky, black...death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Just make sure that Waste Management doesn't know what you are disposing or they won't take it. I have to put empty paint cans and glue buckets in trash bags so they will take them.
fill them with cat litter and you can throw them out normal like
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #13

Tacky, black...death?

you can use black mastic adhesive remover.. and what remains use concrete dust and that wil remove the sticking junk
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #14

Tacky, black...death?

I had forgotten about this thread, but I appreciate the feedback.

I ended up doing this...

I had to bust my slab in another room, so I saved as much dust/sand as I could and spread a layer on th "tar". I used a scraper-on-a-stick to scrape up the crusty tar. I had to rinse, lather and repeat a few times, but I got it up without using chemicals and then mopped the crap out of it with an old FEMA mop that a buddy gave me (threw the mop away).

Worked great!