Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |

T Nails in top of HW floors, Sand/Poly over them?

I've removed some vinyl flooring in the kitchen of my 1940's house to expose the wood floors underneath. I found about 150 smooth shank T nails nailed straight down into the top of the wood floors with the T head exposed. I don't want to have to remove all of them and am not sure if there was a problem that they previously "fixed" using these T nails, such as squeeky floors or something, especially being smooth shank. Is it possible to bang them down as far as I can, sand over them in place and then poly over the top of the exposed T head of the nail? I wouldn't imagine that I'll be able to pin them below the surface of the wood because of their head size. Any thoughts? I wouldn't mind the character of some exposed nails, but don't want trouble long term.

Thanks!
Brian

btodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

The nail heads really should be set below the surface before sanding.
But if you don't have the patience for this, give a it a go with the sander and if the nail heads aren't high enough to rip the sandpaper, you should be fine sanding and finishing right over them.
Did you notice the nails popping up when you still had the vinyl down?
If they stayed down when the vinyl was in, then they shouldn't be a problem long-term.

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

I could muster up the patience, but I was thinking that the head type would be a difficult head to set below the surface. Any recommendations for a tool to line up on a T headed nail? I can't think of one off hand.

We've only had the house about a month, so no extensive experience with the nails and the linoleum, but we haven't noticed any residual problems with nails pushing through the vinyl. We were surprised (imagine that) when we pulled the floor back to see the nails everywhere.

On a bit of a scheduled as we're in two houses right now and want to rent the other out, so any advice on how to move quickly such as a tool would be appreciated. I'm sure taking the time to tap them in vs replacing sandpaper will be cost effective and as quick after it is all said and done.
Thanks!
btodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

You're right, a standard nail set would just punch little circles in the heads.
I know a mason that had a set of small chisels that would match up nicely.
But it'll probably be easier to find a small flat-head screwdriver that will match the size of the nail heads.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote