Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #1

Share |

T-molding - surfaces aren't quite level

OK- new problem. I need to transition from my new wood floor to the tile floor in the bathroom. Only 28". The tile floor is barely higher than the wood (I'd say ~1/8"), so I knew the t-molding would be slightly angled, but so little that I didn't think it would be a problem. However, now that I've cut the t-molding, and tested it out, I see that the tile floor has a slight slope. So, the t-molding would be fine on one side, but would have a gap on the other (again, about 1/8").

So, here's my dilemma. Is there something I could use to "level" the slope (similar to a shim)? Or would it be better to use threshold instead of t-molding. The only problems are that the edge of the tile will look rough, and I'm not sure I have quite enough threshold (although I probably would have just barely enough). I'd really rather use the t-molding, since the edge of the tile is really not pretty, but I'll defer to the experts if you tell me it wouldn't work well.

Thanks

preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Wow- I can't believe I stumped you guys

Well, here's what I've decided to do, I think I'll build up the side of the tile that's lower with some caulk or something to make the tile floor level, then lay the t-molding as normal. If anyone disagrees with me, let me know

preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Tileguy

Plane the bottom part of the "T" so you can install it at a slight angle to match both sides.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote