Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

T&G Subfloor

I seen a video somewhere (cant remember where) of T&G sub-flooring being installed. The Material they were using Looked Like it was 3/4 thick in 24x24 sheets. I was wondering if anyone knows the manufactures name, or similar type? I planing to use this in an 9 1/2'x5' bathroom, in which I have to remove all of the old sub-flooring. Should I go with regular 3/4 thick 8x10 plywood or this 24x24? Im planning on using Ditra for the laying the tile.

1stclasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

T&G Subfloor

I'm replacing a subfloor now and I used 3/4 t&g plywood in 4' x 8' sheets. Glue and screw it down and it feels like walking on cement. I saw the 24" x24" , it looked like a new product for installing hardwood over cement. I think this is what you mean by 24 x 24, if you mean 24 feet then it would be very hard to handle. Replacing the subfloor is kind of a hard job. Be carefull when removing the old floor to not hit any pipes, wires or ducts. Be sure to support the new subfloor at the edges and tie it to the old subfloor. I got the plywood at lowes, they call it 23/32.

cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

T&G Subfloor

Quote:
The Material they were using Looked Like it was 3/4 thick in 24x24 sheets.
NO, that is not subfloor, it's underlayment used in such places as your basement to make it warmer. It's ok for under carpet. You can not install another layer of plywood and then tile over it. Will not work. It's not for bathrooms regardless of the subfloor.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

T&G Subfloor

Thanks guys! I did some more searching and you are correct, it is only for basements.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

T&G Subfloor

1st,

You should do a little more research and brush up on your terms. What exactly are you wanting to do? Give us the bottom line first then we can dissect the project. There is no such thing as 8 X 10 plywood.

You really shouldn't need to remove any of the subfloor unless you have water or fire damage. The subfloor is an integral component of your structure. Your subfloor may have "underlayment" over it...is that what you are talking about?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

T&G Subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
1st,

You should do a little more research and brush up on your terms. What exactly are you wanting to do? Give us the bottom line first then we can dissect the project. There is no such thing as 8 X 10 plywood.

You really shouldn't need to remove any of the subfloor unless you have water or fire damage. The subfloor is an integral component of your structure. Your subfloor may have "underlayment" over it...is that what you are talking about?
sorry, I am aware there is no such thing as 8x10 plywood, I had something else on my mind as i was typing that! Im having to do a complete remodel due to a pipe leak that Rotted out the 80% of the subfloor (it was really bad). The old wire mesh screen (dont know the term for that) was the only thing on the sub-floor, and it was completely rusted, then the 1.5 inch concrete and tile.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

T&G Subfloor

Quote:
Im having to do a complete remodel due to a pipe leak that Rotted out the 80% of the subfloor
OK now I get it.