Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

T&G removal

Hello There!
We are installing 3/4 t&g flooring in our living room and hallway. The problem I may have is the hallway currently has a 3/8" or so t&g that is not solid but more like a ply. If I remember correctly when it was put down 15 years ago it seems like I remember the installers using some construction adhesive in the process. If so what is the best way to remove the current t&g flooring with out tearing up the subfloor to much?

I was thinking of something like the Fein Multi Master or the Rockwell Sonic Crafter. Anybody had experience with either of those?

Thanks for any tips or help!

Gary

Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

T&G removal

I ended up buying the Rockwell after reading up on the two products. My lovely bride bought me a pneumatic flooring nailer to do the t&g with, does anybody know what length staples I should use?
I have to get started on this project as I have been putting it off for to long!

Still looking for any and all tips!

Gary

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #3

T&G removal

if I recall, I used 2 inch cleats for 3/4 inch t&g
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Tileguy

T&G removal

Gary if the 3/8 you refer to is a finished flooring then yes it is plywood. The only way to find out what you are up against is to begin. Start taking out flooring and see what happens.

Is this new flooring prefinished? Why would you need the Sonic Crafter or any tool like it?

Quote:
My lovely bride bought me a pneumatic flooring nailer to do the t&g with, does anybody know what length staples I should use?
You bought a flooring nailer and now you want to use staples??? Don't flooring nailers use flooring nails?

I hope you aren't thinking you can install that 3/4" slat wood with a light weight stapler or Floor Runner. What species of wood is it?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #5

T&G removal

Thanks guys!

Bud, the old t&g is definitely a ply, I think parts of it may have been glued down therefor I thought the SonicCrafter may come in handy if I had to seperate it from the subfloor.
The new floor going down is unfinished 3/4 red oak (we did some about 4 years ago). The stapler we got is definitely a flooring stapler Bostich MIIIS(sorry I called it a nailer),you still have to hit it with a mallet but it is air assisted so you don't have hit it so many times like the manual ones.
One can never have to many tools!

Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Gary_602z; 03-23-2010 at 07:12 PM.