Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Switching from carpet to hardwood on stairs

My 1980's house currently has carpet going up the stairs to the second floor. I would like to keep carpet in the second floor bedrooms but, would like to install hardwoods on the rest of the second floor of an area that is only about 100 sqft. When I pulled back the carpet, it appears that the first nose piece is even with the subfloor. This nose piece is also recessed into the skirt (see photo). If I want to use typical 3/4" hardwood and tar paper, how do I ensure a proper transition to the stairs and the bedrooms? Would I cut out a layer of subfloor?
Attached Thumbnails
Switching from carpet to hardwood on stairs-photo3.jpg  

Last edited by Bugman1400; 12-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Bugman1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
STAFF

Is that your subfloor or underlayment? What is it, 1X or plywood? If underlayment how thick is it?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

I'd remove that piece of nosing and riser, add a filler strip that's even with the subflooring and the edge of where the risers going to be, install a taller riser, then install a landing tread.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Initially, I was under the impression that there were two levels of 3/4" plywood for the subfloor. That is NOT the case. I was able to remove a small piece of subfloor and discovered that I can see the joists and electrical underneath. So, the new hardwood flooring have to be installed on top of the existing single-layer of subfloor. And I agree with Joe, that removing the nose, adding a filler strip, and a taller riser is the best option. I would then have to add a new nose at the higher level. Now, my question is what do I do with the existing skirt that recessed the old nose? This skirt also contains all the other treads and risers in recessed slots. If I remove the old nose, there will be an unfilled space. Seems like I would also have to make a new recessed spaced for the new nose.

Last edited by Bugman1400; 12-29-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
STAFF

You will need to fill the recess when the noise is removed. It isn't necessary to recess the landing tread into the skirt/stringer.

You will want to check to see how much adding new flooring will add to the top landing, you don't want a difference in height as it will be out of code and could cause someone to fall. Insurance won't pay if stairs are out of code.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
You will want to check to see how much adding new flooring will add to the top landing, you don't want a difference in height as it will be out of code and could cause someone to fall. Insurance won't pay if stairs are out of code.
I'd expect the height to be increased by 3/4" plus the tarpaper. Would that be enough difference to be out of code? Thanks for the info.