Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

Sweet smell on finished hardwood after acid spill

Wondering whether anyone has encountered this:

My wife and I accidentally spilled white vinegar on our (fake, I think) hardwood floor. We are in a condo built in the late 90s, and it has hardwood floors that we believe to be "fake" because they are easily dented. Maybe it is just a soft wood, unsure. We rent, so I don't really know the details of the floor. In either case, they have some kind of finishing sealer on them.

I cleaned up the vinegar relatively quickly with paper towels, and even went over the spot with water soaked towels, then dried it. However, now the spot where the vinegar was is giving off a very sweet odor, almost exactly like those plug-in air fresheners (ie potpourri). It continues to give off this odor hours later, after it has most certainly dried. If I run my hand over the spot my hand picks up the odor - thus a faint oil remains.

What I'm curious about is whether this odor is dangerous. My wife is pregnant, so I am particularly cautious. Obviously the acid in the vinegar has reacted, but to what effect?

Any help is appreciated.

mormegil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Sweet smell on finished hardwood after acid spill

Ok, the problem is solved! The spill occurred in a walk-in pantry, which has fairly poor lighting. We just discovered that a glade-plugin toward the back of an upper shelf has been dripping and leaking down onto the floor below. When the vinegar spilled and I used towels to clean it up, I must have mixed it with the pool of glade-plugin and thus coated the floor with it.

I hope this little misadventure makes someone laugh.

It can, of course, be removed by the moderators. Thanks.

mormegil27 is offline   Reply With Quote