Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

Suspected Asbestos floor tiles under 20 year old carpet

hi everyone, I just got a house and my first project was to remove 20 year old carpeting and put down some rubber flooring for a home gym. I got the first patch of carpeting removed and found some really ugly panel looking 12 x 12 tiles. They were covered in paint several colors. I started to scrub off the paint and one was lose so I popped it up and then I started popping up about 8 or 9 of them to see black tar under it. Here is a picture of the tile. some of it broke apart and but not into a powder just small pieces. My son asked to help and the MOM mode kicked in and I thought .. I better see what this is made of before I have my son around and started doing research. I found this site among a few others.

The house was built in 1972, The carpet was installed in 1995 with pad. Upon removing the carpet and pad there is a sand type powder that has come out of this and I am wondering if that would contain asbestos from these tiles? I placed the tiles in a garbage bag and covered the exposed tar with plastic and contacted the DEQ here in oregon but she hasn't called me back yet. I know the first step is to have it tested but just moving into this house I don't have much to spend on this project to begin with yet alone thousands for this to be removed. I am afraid to vacuum up that brown dust from the carpet in case it can cause anything bad to go airborne. I am attaching a picture of the floor under the carpet. I suspect that material I have uncovered is black mastic which I suspect can also contain asbestos.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspected Asbestos floor tiles under 20 year old carpet-428215_3284234347637_1320974345_3403131_222290840_n.jpg  

Oregonbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Only way to be sure is to have it tested.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

I have done some research on this since I am in the same place you are, and my understanding is that they could be of a certain era that they do contain asbestos. But if you are able to lift them whole and not break them, none of the asbestos fibers will get airborne.

The black mastic may also contain asbestos, but as long as you don't disturb it or grind it away, no fibers will get airborne. My black mastic is much blacker than in your pics.

Dispose of the old tiles wrapped in a couple garbage bags and just thrown in the garbage.

That is my interpretation of the many, many posts on this subject.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Ok The DEQ gal just called me back. She said she suspects the black tar is and not the tiles but said I need to send in for a test to know for sure. my question was mainly if the Asbestos was able to wear from a tile and show up as dust in the carpet or pad I took out. She said no. I also broke some but that was from peeling it off the tar, not from them falling apart. Basically i can't push on it with my hand and have it crumble so it is "non friable"Guess Ill send this in for testing. That picture doesn't show the tar, That was before I popped the tiles up. Those are the tiles in the photo.

But if it is asbestos I have to fill out paperwork letting them know where it was disposed. I can't just send it off with the garbage man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I have done some research on this since I am in the same place you are, and my understanding is that they could be of a certain era that they do contain asbestos. But if you are able to lift them whole and not break them, none of the asbestos fibers will get airborne.

The black mastic may also contain asbestos, but as long as you don't disturb it or grind it away, no fibers will get airborne. My black mastic is much blacker than in your pics.

Dispose of the old tiles wrapped in a couple garbage bags and just thrown in the garbage.

That is my interpretation of the many, many posts on this subject.

B
Oregonbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Just a DIY guy

I would find an independent testing lab, and would not use the government.

That way you don't get the government demanding you to perform some kind of crazy abatement project. And just exactly how are you going to get the tiles to the hazardous waste landfill? You are not certified to transport hazardous waste, and those that are will charge you an arm and leg, not to mention the disposal fee.

Asbestos tiles are not all that harmful. Just don't break them apart or grind them, and if you are really concerned, spray water while you work to keep all dust down. Put them in heavy plastic bags and toss them in trash.

And don't tell anybody I told you to do so.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

It's unfortunate that you started to take up the tiles. When undisturbed the tiles pose no health hazard whatsoever. What is done (usually) is a form of encapsulation which seals the tiles. How much have you taken up and how large of an area is tiled?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

Missouri

What if some of the tiles are chipped or cracked...and
some look water damaged (under a sink)
can you just pick up the loose stuff and leave the rest alone?
do you need to seal the chipped areas with something like duct tape?
vi_lontano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

M3Pete is right. Keep a pump-up sprayer or old windex bottle handy while you work. The mist settles the dust immediately, and keeps it from spreading to the rest of the house. I've done this & it makes the job a lot cleaner. It takes very little water, hardly enough to accumulate.

Asbestos dust is bad stuff, but watch out: old pink insulation is potentially as dangerous.

The adhesive can also contain asbestos.

It can be sealed away with paint. (I like to use lead-based)
JumpinJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi_lontano View Post
Missouri

What if some of the tiles are chipped or cracked...and
some look water damaged (under a sink)
can you just pick up the loose stuff and leave the rest alone?
do you need to seal the chipped areas with something like duct tape?

A new layer of thin plywood would seal them completely from further damage and potentially releasing the fibers into the air.

By the way, in NY we are allowed to put asbestos tiles into the regular garbage as they have no control over homeowners who remove it, just the ones that have contractors remove.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #10

Thanks framer..

do you just lay the wood on top or "secure" in some way...
also
I've seen people say you need an "air tight seal" would wood
do this?
and is an "airtight seal" actually necessary?
vi_lontano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #11

Air tight seal is unnecessary.

I would staple this product down and forget that it is there

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
vi_lontano (02-14-2012)

Tags
asbestos, removal, tile