Sunroom Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sunroom floor

I have a small sunroom with plywood flooring that does not feel strong enough to lay tile on it. I would be happy putting plywood over it and painting it. Do I need to put some kind of material between the layers of wood?

Advertisement

jaimieruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,174

sunroom floor

This is a pretty common topic on this forum. You need to determine the flex of the floor, which is commonly referred to as the L/D ratio. You can find this from the John Bridge website. To determine the structural flex, you need to know the size of the joists, the spacing, the clear span, and the species. For small tile, minimum floor flex is supposed to be 1/480 if I remember correctly, and for natural stone or large tile (24"x24") you need 1/720.

You also need to determine the flex between the joists, which is determined by the number of layers of subfloor, the type of subfloor, and the thickness of subfloor. One of the tile setters on this forum can describe minimum requirements between the joists, or you can see a full discussion on the Schluter (they make Ditra) website.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 572

sunroom floor

Painted plywood is not a great look because of the exposted seams and would require some touch up painting in the high wear areas from time to time.
For a far better look you might want to concider a click lock laminite that looks like tile. Simple to install and not that expencive.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

sunroom floor

A click lock laminite that looks like tile might do the trick. Its simple to install...
CharmainPhilips is offline   Reply With Quote