Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subpar Floor Refinishing-Can you help?

Hi,

I live in Boston, and just had 2 bedrooms refinished. The contractor was 'A' rated on Angies list and gave me a good quote $560 for 2 beds (each 11x11 square rooms with 1 tiny closet each). Quote included stripping floors, 1 coat oil primer, 2 coats oil satin finish. (no furniture moving).

At the end of the job, I noticed that in both rooms, there are a number (6+ in each room) of circular sanding/buffing scratches (approx 6 inch arcs) visible to the naked eye. And, in 1 bedroom, there were significant scratches in the finish (see attached). I didn't want them to come back (for fear of even more problems), so I negotiated payment of $400. The proprietor wasn't happy, saying that this wouldn't cover their costs, but I felt that an 'A' rated Angies list contractor should provide quality results, regardless of cost.

So, 3 questions:

1-Was I completely unrealistic about the quality and cost?
2-How do I remove the finish scratches?
3-Can I remove the sanding scratches without redoing the entire floor?

Thanks in advance...

Jen
Attached Thumbnails
Subpar Floor Refinishing-Can you help?-floorissues-001.jpg   Subpar Floor Refinishing-Can you help?-floorissues-002.jpg  

navi_jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Hmmm,

Been there done that! I just paid my floor guy after his 4th attempt on our floor. We negotiated a lower rate. However, He agreed that the floor finish was not good. It was not due to lack of sanding, but rather high humidity in the house that I could not control.

Anyhow, to your questions:

"1-Was I completely unrealistic about the quality and cost?
2-How do I remove the finish scratches?
3-Can I remove the sanding scratches without redoing the entire floor?"

1. No, if they gave you a quote for the work/effort/etc, then you should expect it would be done to the best of their ability.

2. Sadly, you would need to remove the finish and sand the floor (assuming that the scratches are in the wood)..The first pic looks like sanding marks, the 2nd looks like debris in the finish. CAn you feel these scratches, or is the finish smooth over them?

3. You can try to just spot sand the floor, but I am told that it will show up worse than the original problems.

On my floor there were start and stop marks where he applied finish in different areas. This should have settled out during the drying, but did not. I think that over time I will not notice it. Additionally, we have a bit of debris in our finish (some looks like your 2nd picture). Floor guy says to leave it and over time (and wear and tear), the debris will get worn off the top finish.

I am sorry for your poor finish. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with more a more optimistic approach.

Oh, Did you see them remove the finish? Do you know what they used for sanders? Also, $560 for two rooms does not seem too bad. I was quoted $1200 for a large dining room (12x20), hallway (3x12) and 9x9 bedroom.

Last edited by javan; 08-07-2008 at 01:35 PM.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #3

$560 is pretty inexpensive. Perhaps it was a light sanding and recoat of the finish. If it had been refinished before it is unrealistic to think past problems will be completely removed. Especially for this price. I am no pro but have done a number of floor refinishes. Quite often I see where previous owner had rented a drum sander or edger(your circular scratches) and put divots or scratches in the floor.. I do my best to get them all out but quite often they only show up once the finish is applied.
The circular scratches are most often along the edges (Caused by Edger) so quite often get covered by furniture etc.
Sorry you are unhappy although $400 is alot of money, you could not of done it yourself and achieved as good of results yourself. To rent a sander, buy sandpaper and Polyurethene you would of had at least $400 invested. Not to mention the time involved
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Another DIY Zombie

And when you do it yourself, you have a learning curve to contend with.

I did my Master bedroom and office myself. I was terrified to use the drum sander after seeing what the previous owners did to the diningroom and hallway. I opted for the large half-sheet orbital. It took awhile, but the results were nice.

With my floors that turned poor from the pro, I was having him do them since it was a large area and he could do it over a weekend....
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sorry for your complaint. your first mistake was to use ANGIE, She was the one who really recommend them, Do you really think she knows the workmanship of all these companies that she post's. I don't think so. It's all about money. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote