Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Ed

Share |

Subfloor Uneven

im installing 3/4 inch hardwood floors in my entire downstairs. My subloors conssist of 2x8 planks running perpendicular to the joists. There are two sides 0one is wood right now and the other is tile). both are being removed.

side 1.
subfloor 1/4 inch plywood on top of 2x8 subfloor in good shape
side 2

approx (but not exactly) 1/2 plywood on top of 2x8 subfloor (doenst look so good -- the cheap stuff)
id like to install hardwood over the entire floor:

question:
can i add 1/4 to side one to try and bring it level with side 2. Is there something that I can use to make up the additional 1/8 difference in height?
should i just rip it all out, leave the planks on top of the joists, and install new 1/2 t&g?
edfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Ed

Subfloor Uneven

looks like i hve some views but no responses. i guess my real question is whether or not it is ok to have 1/2 t&g in some parts of the house and 2 layers of 1/4 plywood on other parts to make it even for the flooring
edfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Subfloor Uneven

Hardwood can be installed over just about any surface, but it is best to bring the level of each side up to 'plane'.
Check your local lumber yards for 1/8 material like hardboard or paneling.

The closer they are, the better, but you don't need to laser it in. Three quarter inch hardwood will bridge minor dips and hollows. Use a planer to transition the heights if they are radical.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #4

Subfloor Uneven

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfromma View Post
looks like i hve some views but no responses. i guess my real question is whether or not it is ok to have 1/2 t&g in some parts of the house and 2 layers of 1/4 plywood on other parts to make it even for the flooring
That should be fine. My father and I did that to level out his floors before we installed 3/4" hardwood over it. One note on that when installing the 1/4 plywood make sure to glue it down with something like liquid nails and screw it down. The glue and screws will keep it from flexing off the subfloor and making those annoying squeaks when you walk on it. When you screw make sure you hit the joists whenever possible to ensure it stays down tight.

To transfer the 1/8" I would just use a couple layers of tar paper (or red rosin) to kind of gradually bring it down from the high point to the low point. So effectively the two areas would be off by an 1/8", but by doing a smooth transfer between them you won't notice.
campos202 is offline   Reply With Quote