Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

subfloor thickness etc.

Hello, I am looking to install about 400 square feet of 3inch by 3/4 tongue and groove unfinished oak flooring. My subfloor is 19/32 plywood. This I guess meets the minimum requirement of 5/8 but I am thinking of installing 3/8 plywood over the existing plywood floor. My question is that the subfloor is visible from the basement and it says on it leave 1/8 gaps at ends of sheets. Do I ignore this and just lay the new plywood underlayment right over this (even overlapping the seems) or do I need to try and cut the new plywood to exactly fit over the old (seems impossible)? I'm just looking to firm up the floor as when the kids jump etc the cd player skips. I guess I could skip it and try to hit joists when nailing the flooring down? My second question is I know its easy to buy the transitions if I don't beef up the subfloor but can I buy them if I raise the subfloor up by this 3/8 underlayment ?(it will meet 3 bedrooms with just carpet and will be quite a bit higher). many thanks folks!

adjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

subfloor thickness etc.

the gaps on the old plywood will be unaffected by the new plywood. The new plywood should have the same gaps all around the edges of each sheet. This allows for movement within the panel. (it will happen) not doing so will cause the panel to buckle and the floor to squeak. Also never line up the edges of the bottom and top sheets. You need to overlap the seams by at least 24" Glue and screw the two sheets together.

As a side note... there is no need to add this top plywood

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #3

subfloor thickness etc.

Thanks for the reply- I am leaning that way, jason
adjason is offline   Reply With Quote