Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor thickness??

I'm almost finished the gutting of my 1905 farmhouse and I have a subfloor question. I pulled up the original fir flooring in my kitchen and it turns out the subfloor was the 1x10 ship-lapped fir that was used in the foundation forms. I hadn't planned on replacing it but after seeing what tough shape it was in I pulled it all up. So now I'm about to lay new subfloor and I'm wondering how far below the rest of the flooring I should leave it to ensure the tile will be flush with the rest of the floors? It's too early to make any choices on tile yet, so I'm not sure how thick it'll be, and I do plan on laying Ditra. I've never actually used Ditra before, but I've heard nothing but good things so I figured I'd give it a shot. So how much thickness does the membrane, sandwiched between layers of thinset, take up? I assumed that I would get the final height of the tile dialed in by using a shallower/deeper notch on my trowel, depending on my tile thickness. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

whiskeykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

Subfloor thickness??

DITRA will be 1/8" and the thinset to install it will come in around 1/6". Most garden variety tiles (12") are going to be 5/16" with another 1/6" to 3/32" of thinset using a 1/4" square notch unless you set it up differently. Don't get too anal tho, it isn't worth it.

Stone tile will start at about 3/8" in thickness and go up from there depending on the size of the tile.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #3

Subfloor thickness??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
DITRA will be 1/8" and the thinset to install it will come in around 1/6".
Thanks! But do you mean 1/16"?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

Subfloor thickness??

Ditra is 1/8" installed total. The thinset in this case does not add height to the installation.

Standard thickness tiles will end up to be very close to 3/8" installed. It'll vary of course. Some of the better tiles are 3/8" or even thicker to start. I sell one line that is 10.8 mm. or .4252 in.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Tileguy

Subfloor thickness??

TOE-MAY-TOE/TOE-MAH-TOE!

That's why I said don't get too anal about it.

And YES, I meant to say 1/16".
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #6

Subfloor thickness??

Great, thanks for the advice.

So that's 1/8" of DITRA + 1/16" of thinset + 3/8" of tile = 9/16" total.

So, considering subfloor comes in 1/8" increments, I'll shoot for 5/8" below the existing flooring. Sound about right?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Subfloor thickness??

Wait a minute. All the Ditra info is spot on BUT what are you planning on using for a subfloor? Ideally, you need to start with 3/4" t&g. Not a good idea to have overall floor height determine what subfloor you use (if it makes you go too thin). Also, what tile you will eventually use can make a difference in your subfloor choice. Natural stone has more stringent criteria than ceramic.
Maybe you should post what size your joists are, how far apart they are and what the longest unsupported span of the joists is. You should narrow your choices down to either ceramic (porcelain) or natural stone. THEN we will be able to tell you if your subfloor choice will work!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #8

Subfloor thickness??

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Maybe you should post what size your joists are, how far apart they are and what the longest unsupported span of the joists is. You should narrow your choices down to either ceramic (porcelain) or natural stone. THEN we will be able to tell you if your subfloor choice will work!
Ok. I know my joists are 16" OC, and I'm pretty sure they're rough 2x10 but I'll have to confirm that. right now my existing flooring is rough 1x10 planked subfloor (7/8" thick), and 1x6 finished flooring, about 1-5/8" total. I need 1" of total subfloor, so I guess my options are two layers of 1/2", or 3/4" + 1/4". I intend to use T&G plywood. Can you get 1" subfloor??
Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Tileguy

Subfloor thickness??

We Have A Run Away!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #10

Subfloor thickness??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
We Have A Run Away!
Oh man, the run away began weeks ago. Right now the house is down to the studs, no wiring, insulation, or windows. With this subfloor installation though the long process of rebuilding begins.

Seriously though, 1" of subfloor - what's the best way?

Thanks.