Subfloor Requirements For Slate - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor requirements for slate

Hi all,

I am in the process of mapping out requirements and steps involved for a tiling project my wife and I would like to do. My overall knowledge in this area is limited.

We are planning to install slate in a small mud room (as you enter from the front attached garage) as well as the adjoining laundry room. Both areas are about a foot below the main level of the house.

My questions/concerns are around the subfloor/joists in the laundry room. Will it currently support slate? How do I determine if it will, other than bringing in a contractor? Will adding 1/2 plyood (after I remove existing lino) stiffen things up?

Currently there is lino in there and we have a front loading washer that creates quite a bit of vibration during a spin cycle.

• The square footage of the laundry room is 46' (8.8L x 5.2W).
  • I have direct access to the floor directly underneath the laundry room via the basement.
  • The laundry room is in one corner of the house so two of the walls are sitting on the foundation of the house. The other 8.8L wall is sitting on partitioned wall in the basement which part of the stairs.
  • The joists under the laundry room run the length of the room. There are two of them under the laundry room floor.
  • The joists are:
    • TJI 100C
    • Approx 9ft in length
    • 9.5inches in height
    • 24inches from center to center
  • The subfloor is 23/32 OSB from what I can see from the basement. Haven't removed the lino yet to see from the topside.
  • Also, one end of the joists sit on the foundation of the house while the other end are in u-shaped brackets...joist hangars?
We already purchased the slate as it was on sale, but if I can't make work what we have than I have no problem returning it and picking put something else.

House was built in 2004.

If I'm missing anything that might help formulate solutions, I'll try and round up the details.

Thanks,
Shannon

Advertisement

swicks is offline   Reply With Quote