Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #1

Share |

Subfloor replacement

I have to replace the sub floor in my family room due from a leaking sliding glass door for many years by the previous owner. The plywood is and a wood under lament. Ill cut just the plywood with the circular saw depth to 1. A few questions I have are:
  • How do I get up to the wall because of the plate for the circular saw?
  • Support for the ends of the new plywood? Currently the plywood is sitting on top of the rim joist and the walls on top of that. When I cut the rotten part of the sub floor there wont be any support under the ends of the plywood around the walls. Should I cut 2x10, the size of the joists, and nail them between the joists all the way down the wall? I would need at least 2 boards to have enough thickness to support the plywood.
  • Would this look strange in the basement to a potential buyer if I ever sell the home?? Boards nailed between the joists.
  • Is there a better solution??
Tim
tsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #2

Subfloor replacement

I'm new here and I was hoping I could get some suggustions for this sub floor replacement. Anybody have any thoughts on supporting the plywood?
tsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #3

Subfloor replacement

There is a device called a toe kick saw. Search the forum for it and you will get some advice on this. From what I read it is sort of dangerous. You may be better off to use a sawzall to cut up next to the floor or any cabinets...
Attached Images

Eric_ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
ICF Construction

Subfloor replacement

First thing you need to determine is just the subfloor rotten or delaminating (The layers of plywood are seperating) are the joists rotting, how about the rim board and the bottom plate? Usually if a subfloor is rotten, other things are in disrepair as well and frankly there is no point in just 'fixing' the subfloor if other work needs done at the same time.

But to answer your immediate question, yes you must have solid blocking on the seams of the plywood since you are not going to be able to have the T&G advantage. Use the same size joist member and also use PL ahdesive before installing and screwing down the new subfloor.

To get up against the bottom plate use either a kickplate saw or use a blade offset for a sawsall to get a close clean cut. But I'm betting if you need to cut that close to the plate this problem goes further and you are only adding a band aid.