Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Subfloor repairs/replacement for kitchen remodel

We just tore out all our kitchen cabinets, flooring, and a wall to boot. The original cabinets (which we think may have been fabricated by monkeys, as they had more nails in them than Home Depot has in stock - and which were also nailed instead of screwed to the walls... but I digress) sat on what appears to be a basic plywood sub-floor. However, laid around the cabinets was another plywood sub-floor. On top of that is the original kitchen linoleum (house was built in 1968).

So what we have is a sub-floor at one level, another sub-floor on top of parts of it, and linoleum on top of that. We don't want to mess too much with the linoleum due to the risk of asbestos, so planned to lay new flooring down over top of that. But I'm wondering if this will be possible to do given the two different levels we would have to contend with (first level to bring the base sub-floor up to the level of the next layter, and then to bring up to the level of the linoleum - which of course, isn't very thick).

We hope to do either a floating cork floor or ceramic tile. I know that for both applications, it's imperative to have a level base on which to place the floor. But I'm wondering what the best options are for getting to that point. Should we take out the top layer of sub-floor? Should we bring everything to one level, and then put another layer of plywood (or some other underlayment) over all of it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
fargo2939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #2

if it were me I would defiantly take the whole top layer off including the linoleum see what the bottom looks like and go from their.Just keep the old lino. wet (spray it )and you will be OK.Once you get it up you may find there is a reason that top layer is there and you may have to replace it all but you don't want to start this project with an unknown Others may say differently but thats my two cents worth
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #3

Hi friends, I hired a contractor to complete a basement renovation in October, due to finish at the end of the year. The job is still not done; I haven't seen him in over a week. Can I terminate our arrangement and not pay him for the remainder of the work? I only gave him 1/3 of the total quote, and I doubt he's done that much work. Thanks for any suggestions.
tiffanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #4

your going to need to repost this in a new thread
I Would say yes if you had any kind of time stipulation in your contract but like I said repost their are many good GC on this site that can give a definite answer if they see your posting
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Get out of the box!

Be very carefull with any removal, it is not wise for anyone to suggest that you remove a floor that could contain asbestoes.

However you do not know it has asbestoes unless you have it tested.

What style of floor will you be going down with?
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, flooring, kitchen, sub-floor