Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

subfloor reinforcing?

here is the situation: when my house was built,evidently the builder forgot to put a "dryer vent pipe" in the laundry room so I guess he went back and cut the 3/4 ply. subfloor between the joists and put one in. he then nailed back the ply. that he had removed. this of course leaves a seam between the joists which is unsupported. this is fine for linoleum which flexes but now I'm going to tile that floor and tile doesn't flex too much. (I can imagine a few cracked tiles as the heavy appliances are rolled over that floor)
my question is: how can I reinforce that seam (actually several)? I think it needs reinforcing since I can actually see it flex under the weight of just ONE average weight man. It doesn't seem that the "Wonderboard" which will go over it will stiffen it all that much.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

subfloor reinforcing?

You could put some cross blocking across the seam in a few places to make it stiff OR cut out the existing subfloor back to points where the seam will be supported.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

subfloor reinforcing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
You could put some cross blocking across the seam in a few places to make it stiff OR cut out the existing subfloor back to points where the seam will be supported.
Yupp... just as DJ says... and not as good a solution, but dependent on your situation, I've had a similar circumstance.... where at the unsupported cuts, sister 3/4 ply underneath both pieces/sides. Use screws and alot of PL.

I've tiled over it with no problem, but then again it was a bath and not taking a refrigerator load.... but when I jumped on it to test it... felt as solid as a glue downed, well nailed, 3/4 TnG floor.

Best
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

subfloor reinforcing?

hmm...look at the pic. when I removed the ply,I found that the vent pipe is sort of insulated from the ceiling below by some insulation. looks like the pipe must get hot and that ceiling below could get discolored. this leads to the question: "how hot DOES a dryer vent pipe get"? is there some sort of "fire danger" here? does anyone know if there is an applicable buiding code? does that vent pipe need to be not contacting any wood down there? would I be in violation of some code if I DID put in some reinforcing and the wood came in contact with the pipe?

tnx,
Attached Thumbnails
subfloor reinforcing?-vent-001.jpg  
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 544

subfloor reinforcing?

The insulation was probably put in to keep the noise down and support the pipe as I don't see any straps. The dryer vent gets hot but not hot enough to start a fire.

On side note, how long is that duct? Might want to clean it before you seal it back up.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,398

subfloor reinforcing?

It looks like your only unsupported seam is across the span....

I would think that when you put down your 1/4 cement board that it would prevent the flex.

Of course, putting some blocking across there is not going to hurt anything.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-27-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

subfloor reinforcing?

Not sure what you mean unsupported , It appears the ply wood rests on two joists , If the one joist that is not as visible is not out far enough to nail too ,You can sister a 2X4 along it , Just nail it good , Then put the plywood back on it

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote