Subfloor Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

subfloor question

My house was built in 1999, I have noticed very little water damage in the master bathroom. I am pretty sure it came from years of water being splashed out around the edges. I have already pulled the sheetrock around the tub surround and pulled it out a little bit to see if there was any damage underneath it but didnt see any and cant see any from the crawl space. The size of the damage is about 6"x8" and is in the corner of the tub and nearby wall and about a 2" hole that I pushed through to see how strong it was.

I was wondering if I could just repair it from the crawl space underneath the house. I can get to the area easily. I was thinking about taking a small sheet of 3/4" plywood and place it between the joist and nail some supports between the joist to sandwich the plywood under the old subfloor and the
2x4's or 2x6's.

Would be this be a acceptable repair or do I need to pull the tub/shower surround all the way out and repair it from the top. I am planning on tiling so it would be stronger after the backerboard and tile.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

redblazerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

subfloor question

if its not molding and you are tiling soon do it from the top will be easier and you will be able so see the real extent of damage

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

subfloor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
if its not molding and you are tiling soon do it from the top will be easier and you will be able so see the real extent of damage
I can see the extent of the damage from underneath the house. The weakest part is about 4" square, its at the edge of the tub and at the corner of the wall. I cant get the whole unit out far enough without pulling the whole wall sheetrock. I could easily cut a 16" square plywood panel and put it on from under the house and sandwich it between the subfloor and floor joist.

Its not alot of damage and is pretty solid from what I can see from under the house.
redblazerx is offline   Reply With Quote