Subfloor Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Subfloor Question

Hi all ... working on a putting a hardwood floor in our kitchen. Currently in the kitchen, there is a linoleum, the 1/4 luan plywood, then 1/2 MDF, then 1/4 luan, and then the joists.

My question is, how would you attack the subfloor on this job? My initial thought would be to take the laminate and the 1/4 luan up and nail to the MDF. But i have others tell me to take the sub floor up all the way to the first luan plywood and lay a new new subfloor ... im confused....

Also, do i need to put something between the subfloor and the hardwood?

thanks for your help .... sorry for the life story ....

Advertisement

debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

Subfloor Question

OK, I'm confised. Are you saying that this stuff is on top of your subfloor? Or are you saying that the two layers of Luaun and MDF are your subfloor?

I am not a professional, but I wouldn't put anything over MDF. It's not as bad as particle board, but it's still more susceptible to water damage than a quality plywood. And now is a good time to get the weak links removed.

If it were me fixing up my home, I'd tear down to sub-floor and go from there. If this stuff is your subfloor, I'd seriously consider installing a proper plywood subfloor.

Advertisement

kaypee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #3

Subfloor Question

Ok, so in our house, we have a basement. In the kitchen, above the joists, i have 1/4 luan, 1/2 mdf, 1/4 luan then linoleum. So I would say that the subfloor is 1/4 luan, then there is the 1/2 mdf and another sheet of 1/4 in luan and then the linoleum ... that should be about as clear as mud. Thanks for the help, I was assuming that was what i needed to do
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

Subfloor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Ok, so in our house, we have a basement. In the kitchen, above the joists, i have 1/4 luan, 1/2 mdf, 1/4 luan then linoleum. So I would say that the subfloor is 1/4 luan, then there is the 1/2 mdf and another sheet of 1/4 in luan and then the linoleum ... that should be about as clear as mud. Thanks for the help, I was assuming that was what i needed to do
Are you sure the first layer of subfloor (next to the joists) is only 1/4"?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

Subfloor Question

Yes, I was able to look in a cold air return. It was also like this in our bathroom and I can only assume the rest of the house ....
Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 622

Subfloor Question

Wow I'd remove it all and install a proper 3/4" plywood t&g sub floor.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Subfloor Question

If your description and terminology is correct--I would remove the flooring and get down to the joists .

3/4 plywood subfloor--that's the ticket--

I've never heard of a flooring system like you have described--1/4 inch luan over the joists------
Then medium density fiber board?? that mdf has no structural strength--Did you mean OSB(oriented strand board)?

Sounds like the job was done wrong long ago. Time to fix it right.--Have fun--MIKE--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,320

Subfloor Question

That floor would have to violate code.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote