Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Subfloor pops in winter

My home is 6 years old and in the winter my floor in the living area pops. This does not happen in the summer. This makes me believe I have shrinking and swelling of the subfloor. Additionally I can feel slight movement in some areas. I have pergo laminate flooring and I cant tighten the floor from above. What are some ways to tighten the floor from my crawlspace?

bmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Subfloor pops in winter

does it just pop when no one is in the room or is it popping when you walk on it? wood expands and contracts with humidity and temperature changes. all houses do it. are you sure it isn't the laminate floor that is popping?

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Tileguy

Subfloor pops in winter

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
This makes me believe I have shrinking and swelling of the subfloor.
You always have shrinking and swelling.

SqueakEnder should help some, don't expect miracles though. Another choice; Squeak-Relief may help too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSK1...ture=endscreen

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

Subfloor pops in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgan
My home is 6 years old and in the winter my floor in the living area pops. This does not happen in the summer. This makes me believe I have shrinking and swelling of the subfloor. Additionally I can feel slight movement in some areas. I have pergo laminate flooring and I cant tighten the floor from above. What are some ways to tighten the floor from my crawlspace?
Do you have baseboard heat?... If do is the floor touching the pipes?
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #5

Subfloor pops in winter

Installing that Pergo to tight to the outside walls and in doorways can cause this.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

Subfloor pops in winter

We just replaced the pergo flooring because it was doing the same thing before. The builder installed cheap laminate and I believed this was causing the popping. When I say popping, I mean loud wake you up popping. This is not a typical squeak in the floor, however does occur only when you walk on it. When we installed the floors we left the necessary expansion gap. Furthermore, the area that pops feels spongy. We checked the subfloor before putting down the new Pergo and at that time I was convinced it was the old laminate causing the problem. Boy was I wrong! So now what?

bmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote