Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

Subfloor plywood

I am having laminate installed in my 200 sq ft living room. The installer has to put in a subfloor and he has asked me to get 5/8 plywood "good on one side".
Does it have to be good on one side? There will be an underlay on top of the subfloor & then the laminate. The price for "good on one side" plywood is double the price of regular 5/8 plywood. Does it really matter? The installer is already charging me $35 per sheet (x7) for his labour to install the subfloor so with the "good" wood, that will be over $500 for the subfloor. Seems high $$$. This is just for the sublfoor! I've already paid for the laminate & installation. Thx in advance for your thoughts.

canucksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #2

Subfloor plywood

I use 3/4" Advantec T & G for subflooring not plywood or 5/8. Advantec comes with a 50 year warranty, is super strong, moistures not going to effect it, holds nails or screws great, has no voids, is perfectly flat. Make sure whatever is used there's constrution adhesive put on top of the joist before installing it, it can add up to 25% more strength to the floor.
I use ceramic coated decking screws when attaching my subfloors, not nails, nails have a tendincy to back out or come loose over time.
We use a stand up screw gun when doing it and can install a 4 X 8 sheet in less then 5 min.
For an underlayment we use 3/8 or 1/2 A/C subfloor rated plywood making sure to not have the seams lined up with the floor joist below and use pneumatic narrow crown stable gun set in automatic to install it. It needs to be attached every 4" on the edges and ever 6 to 8" in the field.
Sub floor rated means they used ext. glue and there's no voids in the core or the top surface.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote